DECC give approval for Centrica Seven Seas Field Development

Centrica plc, through its subsidiary Centrica Resources Limited ("CRL"), today announced that its operated Seven Seas gas field in the UK Southern North Sea has received development consent from the Department of Energy and Climate Change. CRL owns 92.5% of the field and Sojitz Energy Project Limited, a subsidiary of the Japanese Sojitz Corporation, owns the remaining 7.5%.

Centrica acquired the Seven Seas field in Southern North Sea block as part of its £242 million acquisition of Newfield UK Holdings Limited in September 2007.

The development will initially comprise the subsea tie-back and production of Seven Seas 1 (48/7c-13y) to the existing West Sole Alpha ("WSA") platform located 60km off Easington in the Southern North Sea.

The Seven Seas project will utilise as far as practicable the existing subsea infrastructure and topside facilities at WSA. The topside process facility will be upgraded where possible to accommodate the introduction of Seven Seas production fluids and will facilitate the future development of other prospects in the area. Hydrocarbons will be processed at WSA and exported to the Dimlington Terminal via the existing 16" WSA export line.

Platform modification work on WSA and pipe lay work in the field is scheduled for summer 2009. First gas is scheduled for winter 2009/10.