Shareholder FAQs

On this page you will find answers to questions that are frequently asked by shareholders. If you do not find the information that you are looking for please contact the Registrar, Equiniti.

General Shareholder FAQS

You may at some point wish to transfer some or all of your shares to someone else (for example your partner or other member of your family). To do this, you will need to complete a share transfer form, which you can do by accessing shareview. If you require any further assistance, please contact Equiniti.

This is dependent on the nature of the share transfer. Guidelines about stamp duty are set out on the reverse of the share transfer form. If you require any further assistance contact Equiniti.

A declaration concerning the application of stamp duty on the share transfer is set out on the reverse of the share transfer form and should be completed and signed by you before you return the form to Equiniti.

You can buy shares in your children's names but there may be legal complications when you come to sell the shares. Equiniti can give you more information.

If you lose your share certificate, or it has been stolen, you should inform Equiniti immediately. You can do this by calling the Centrica shareholder helpline on +44 (0)371 3842985*. A record of the lost share certificate will be made to prevent it being used and a letter of indemnity will be sent to you to sign. This is to protect Centrica from the possible misuse of your certificate while it is not in your possession. A replacement share certificate will then be sent to you. There is a charge for this service, so we advise you to keep your share certificate in a safe and secure place.

*Calls to an 03 number cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number. Lines open 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (UK time), excluding public holidays in England and Wales.

Please note that from July 2023 we no longer pay dividends by cheque. Dividends are paid directly into shareholders’ bank or building society accounts.

To have your dividend payments paid directly into your bank account or building society account, please access shareview to complete, date and sign the mandate form.

Should you have any queries about the value of the dividend due to you, please contact Equiniti who can advise further.

Please note that from July 2023 we no longer pay dividends by cheque. Dividends are paid directly into shareholders’ bank or building society accounts.

To have your dividend payments paid directly into your bank account or building society account, please access shareview to complete, date and sign the mandate form.

Should you have any queries about the value of the dividend due to you, please contact Equiniti who can advise further.

Please contact Equiniti at the earliest opportunity and they will assist you with the documentation required. This may involve the small estates procedure or require a Grant of Probate and they will be able to make the process as straightforward as possible for you. 

View explanation of small estates procedure.

This may mean that you have shares registered in two accounts with slightly different details. Sometimes, if shares are purchased at different times, the registration details given to Equiniti might differ slightly on each occasion (e.g. Mr Paul A. Smith or Mr Paul Smith). This can result in our registrar opening two shareholder accounts.

This in turn leads to a duplication of shareholder communications.

If your shareholding is duplicated in this way, please contact the Equiniti helpline on 0371 384 2985 or access Shareview to combine your accounts.

If you would like to receive shareholder communications in alternative formats (large print, braille or audio tape), please register your name and address, shareholder account number and preferred format with Equiniti.

Some high street banks provide facilities for buying and selling shares or you can contact a stockbroker. Alternatively, Centrica has made arrangements with two independent share-dealing providers to offer all shareholders competitive charges. Please see the share dealing facilities section of our website for more details.

You should notify Equiniti of your change of address which you can do by either accessing Shareview or contacting the Equiniti helpline on 0371 384 2985.

If you hold shares in joint names, the request to change the address must be signed by the first-named shareholder. You can determine this from your share certificate or tax confirmation or by looking up your shareholding on the Shareview service.

To ensure the details of your shareholding are correct on the register you should notify Equiniti in writing of any change to your name. You should also include a copy of your marriage certificate or change of name deed as evidence of your name change. If you need uncashed dividend cheques to be reissued in your new name, please also include them in your envelope.


Former shareholders of Centrica Production Limited (previously known as Venture Production Limited) who are in receipt of a letter from Centrica Production Limited regarding treatment of shareholder funds are encouraged to provide their response by contacting Centrica’s Group Secretariat Department by email ( or by calling the telephone number stated in the letter.

In collaboration with the London Stock Exchange, we establish a specific date before each dividend announcement. This date determines when any of our shares sold without the entitlement to the dividend. This is known as the 'ex-dividend' date. Prior to this date, the shares are considered 'cum dividend'.

If you purchase shares before this ex-dividend date, you become eligible to receive the recently declared dividend. However, if you acquire the shares on the ex-dividend date or any time after, the previously announced dividend will go to the last owner.

The dividend payment is made to shareholders based on the quantity of shares they own, as recorded in the share register at a set deadline, referred to as the 'record date'. This record date is the day following the ex-dividend date due to the T+2 settlement rule (Trade Date plus two business days) for both ADS holders and regular shareholders.

If you've recently sold your shares and received a dividend, but you're uncertain about your entitlement to it, it's advised to reach out to the agent who facilitated your sale. Depending on the sale agreement, the dividend might actually belong to the new owner.

FlexiShare FAQS

For full details on how to transfer your shares and the relevant forms and terms and conditions, please go to

For this, you will need to complete, sign and return the Request for share certificate in another name form available via Shareview. There is no fee charged to you for this transfer.

Access Shareview for the relevant transfer form to transfer shares to another beneficial holder within the service. Once you and the new beneficial owner(s) of the shares have completed this form, return it to Equiniti along with any additional ID as requested by Equiniti FS and Equiniti FS will arrange to transfer your shares to the new beneficial owner(s). 

You must inform Equiniti FS by telephone as soon as you get the opportunity and they will place a warning on the share register to protect your shareholding. For security purposes you may wish to have your shares transferred into a new holding and a new Shareholder Reference issued to you. If you wish to do this please write to Equiniti FS. In the meantime, you can check your holding on the Shareview website or contact Equiniti FS.

Centrica has made arrangements to allow FlexiShare account holders to buy and sell Centrica Shares at favourable commission rates with appointed providers. Shares held in FlexiShare cannot be sold directly through any other broker service. If you wish to use a broker not appointed to FlexiShare you must transfer your shares to another nominee provider or arrange for a share certificate to be issued to you. For further information please contact the shareholder helpline.

As outlined above, you should contact the shareholder helpline and request a FlexiShare Transfer Form for your spouse or civil partner to transfer shares into FlexiShare. 

You have the right to withdraw from the FlexiShare service at any time. You should complete and return a transfer form, which is available from the shareholder helpline. Your instructions will take effect immediately upon receipt but will not affect the completion of any transactions already initiated. Unless you instruct us otherwise, any shares held in the plan will be transferred into a holding in your own name and you will be sent a share certificate. There is no charge if you decide to leave the service.

To buy/sell shares you will need your Shareholder Reference available on your FlexiShare statement or previous dividend confirmation/tax voucher. If you are unable to locate any of this paperwork please contact the shareholder helpline to arrange for a confirmation letter to be sent to the address held for you. Unfortunately, Equiniti is unable to give you this information over the telephone.