British Gas is extending its offer of free loft and cavity wall insulation to all British households regardless of who supplies their energy.
The new offer means that anyone owning a home with unfilled cavity walls or a loft with little or no insulation(1) can apply to British Gas to install the measures for free. Households can cut up to £175 off their heating bills every year by installing loft insulation and up to £135 by installing cavity wall insulation(2).
The new offer includes the following:
- Free insulation provided and installed by British Gas which would typically cost up to £350 per measure(2)
- Free scaffolding (if needed) worth up to £450
- Free air vents (if needed) worth £100
- Elderly customers or those on certain qualifying benefits(3) may also be eligible for up to £150 to help with the cost of loft clearance
Households wanting to take advantage of this offer should act quickly to avoid disappointment. At the end of this year, the Government’s current energy efficiency programme will end meaning that if you are not over 70 or on specific benefits then free insulation may not be available.
Interested households should call the British Gas insulation team on 0800 980 8177 and they will arrange a free survey at a convenient time.
Since 2008, British Gas has helped over one million households cut their energy bills by installing free insulation. But with over 9 million lofts inadequately insulated and nearly 8 million cavity walls unfilled(5) it is clear that that there are many households who can benefit from the free measures.
Jon Kimber, Managing Director of British Gas New Energy, said:
“With household budgets stretched we know that people are looking at ways to save money. £1 in every £4 spent on heating is wasted due to poor insulation so energy efficiency can have a massive impact.
“We want to get people looking out for others who need help. If you know someone who doesn’t have their home insulated and has a cold house then please ask them to get in touch. We will insulate their home for free even if they are not a British Gas customer.”
Notes to Editors
1. To be eligible for loft insulation, homes must have less than 60mm of loft insulation already in place.
2. Savings and cost figures are from the Energy Saving Trust http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/In-your-home/Roofs-floors-walls-and-windows/Roof-and-loft-insulation
3. To qualify as a vulnerable customer eligible for help with loft clearance, the customer has to meet one of the three following rules:
(i) be in receipt of either the State Pension Credit or
(ii) be in receipt of the Child Tax Credit with an income below £16,190
(iii) be on one of the following income related benefits (Income Based Jobs Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Income Related Employment Support Allowance Credit) AND one of the following (parental responsibility for a child under five, Child Tax Credit including a disability, a Disabled Child Premium, A Disability Premium or a Pensioner Premium).
4. Terms and conditions apply
5. Research from DECChttp://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/news/stat_ins_jan12/stat_ins_jan12.aspx and http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/In-your-home/Roofs-floors-walls-and-windows/Cavity-wall-insulation
For further information, please contact:
British Gas: Elliott Grady - firstname.lastname@example.org / 0800 107 7015 / 07789 579114