Dolau County School in Pontyclun will today be awarded 10,000 ‘leaves' by Janice Gregory AM, for becoming the 10,000th school to join the British Gas Generation Green programme.
Generation Green is a nationwide schools and community programme designed to empower teachers, schools and the local community to tackle climate change. Schools are given a ‘Leaf Goal' and earn ‘Green Leaves' for undertaking specific actions. When a Leaf Goal is reached, the school is awarded green prizes ranging from solar water heating kits and energy efficient light bulbs, to green energy trackers and bird boxes. Dolau County School will now be able to add 10,000 leaves to the 18,000 it has already earned.
AM for Ogmore, Janice Gregory will mark this special milestone by presenting the school with a certificate of their achievement at a Generation Green assembly.
Janice Gregory AM said: "I'm delighted to present the certificate for 10,000 leaves to the school. I know that the pupils, their families and the staff are already playing their part in countering climate change and this scheme will give an extra boost to their efforts. Congratulations to them and to Generation Green on getting 10,000 schools involved in the project."
Gareth Evans, Head teacher of Dolau Primary School said: "The Generation Green scheme has allowed us to further develop our eco status and raise awareness of the importance of looking after our environment and planet. The children thoroughly enjoy the challenges and are very excited about being rewarded for their effort and commitment."
Katie Alloway, British Gas Generation Green Programme Manager said: "The Generation Green team is delighted to have reached this special milestone in the programme since its launch two years ago, and we look forward to assisting Dolau County and the other 9,999 schools to realise their green potential."
For more information on Generation Green, visit http://www.generationgreen.co.uk/
Note to Editors
Contact: Sara Powell-Davies, British Gas Press Office, 029 20 275 061 or 07789 576 959, firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Friday 25 June 2010
Time: 10.00am - 11.00am
Location: Dolau Primary School, Bridgend Road, Llanharan, Pontyclun, Rhondda Cynon Taff, CF72 9RP
School phone number: 01443 237830
What: The school will be awarded a certificate by Janice Gregory AM at a Generation Green assembly for becoming to 10,000th school to join the programme.
- Schools take part in the Generation Green initiative by collecting ‘Green Leaves' and downloading and using resources and lesson plans developed by leading environmental charity Global Action Plan.
- Leaves are awarded to schools for taking steps such as:
- Registering for Generation Green
- Appointing lights/standby monitors
- Downloading educational resources
- Setting up a green notice-board
- Encouraging friends and family to complete an Energy Savers Report onlinehttp://www.britishgas.co.uk/esr
- Encouraging friends and family to sign up to paperless billing
- Consumers can participate in Generation Green by donating the leaves they collect to a school of their choice, and they can receive Leaves simply by switching to paperless British Gas billing or completing an energy saver's report online.