Centrica has today published its 2010 Corporate Responsibility report, revealing progress made against the company's corporate responsibility objectives.
In 2010, Centrica made advances in mitigating its environmental impact.
- British Gas installed 195,228 smart meters in 2010, towards a target of two million installations by 2012
- Centrica's UK power generation carbon intensity reduced by 25 per cent to 277g CO2/kWh in 2010, towards its target of 270g CO2/kWh by 2012
- Centrica reduced the carbon footprint of existing offices, company vehicles and travel by 11.3 per cent in 2010, working towards a 20 per cent reduction target by 2015
- British Gas provided its customers with energy efficiency products in 2010 that had equivalent lifetime carbon savings totalling 15.6 million tonnes of CO2
- Centrica maintained the highest score of any utility globally in the 2010 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index (92 per cent) and was placed 13th best company overall
Centrica also made good progress towards its aims of improving safety, investing in its employees and building customer trust.
- Centrica's lost time injury rate fell 16.3 per cent to 0.41 injuries per 100,000 hours worked
- Employee engagement remained high at 64 per cent and efforts to create an engaging workplace were rewarded as British Gas was ranked 14th in the Sunday Times Best 100 Companies to Work For 2011
- In 2010 Centrica employees volunteered for over 52,000 hours in their communities, an increase of 42 per cent compared with 2009. This figure includes Direct Energy which achieved its target of 10,000 volunteer hours
- Centrica was rated 80th in The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers list, the highest position ever held by an utility company
- British Gas' Net Promoter Score1 rose by seven points to + 5. In Direct Energy, Net Promoter Score was up 11.5 points to +21. British Gas' spend on initiative in support of vulnerable customers increased in 2010 to £84m
Simon Henderson, Director of Corporate Responsibility, Centrica, said: "As the UK's leading energy company, Centrica is uniquely placed to reduce the levels of carbon emitted in our environment through our customer relationships, the skills of our service engineers and our expertise in sourcing energy and generating power.
"We delivered well against our objectives in 2010, but there is much further to go. As well as delivering initiatives to support the move to a lower carbon world, we remain focused on prioritising safety, supplying energy needs, building and maintaining customer trust and developing our people."
Centrica's 2010 Corporate Responsibility Report is available to view at www.centrica.com/responsibility.
Centrica media relations: 0800 107 7014
1 Net Promoter Score measures customers' willingness to recommend us