Centrica has been identified as a world leader for taking strategic action on sustainable water management and climate change by CDP, an international NGO reporting to investors representing around a third of the worlds invested capital.
For the second year running, Centrica featured in the Water A List which is comprised of the top 10% of companies who demonstrate world-class action and disclosure on water management. We are one of just 73 companies to make the List which includes only ten utilities and ten UK companies.
Centrica achieved an A- for action and disclosure on climate change. As a result, we narrowly missed maintaining a place in the Climate A List. While we remain steadfast in our commitment to combat climate change, our ranking was mainly impacted by a drop in carbon reduction savings in 2016 compared to 2015, coupled with an increase in the carbon intensity of our power generation following unusually low levels the previous year.
Jim Rushen, Centrica’s Head of Environment said: “Centrica has delivered a strong performance in this year’s CDP rankings which gives confidence to investors and other key stakeholders, that we are effectively managing our environmental impact. While we missed a spot on the Climate A List, I’m proud of the robust strategies we have in place to manage risks and opportunities relating to climate change. As I look to the future, I’m excited by the difference our focus on delivering innovative products and services will make in giving customers greater control and understanding over their energy, which can lead to lower carbon emissions and energy bills”.
Paul Dickinson, CDP’s Executive Chair said: “Congratulations to all the companies that made it onto the Water A List this year. Climate change, industrialization and population growth are putting unprecedented pressure on water supplies. 43% of companies say they’re already facing water risks that could disrupt their business. Because of this, companies are stepping up for a water secure world, moving us towards a tipping point on environmental action”.
Our carbon reduction commitments
- We have helped our UK customers save 27mtCO2e since 2008 - equivalent to the average annual emissions of 7 million UK homes.
- We are investing around £1.2bn during 2015-20 in our global Connected Home and Distributed Energy and Power business. In doing so, we will give customers greater control and insights over their energy to not only reduce their energy use, but cut their energy bills and carbon emissions.
- 67% of power sold to our UK customers in 2016 came from low carbon sources such as wind and nuclear. This led to Centrica having the lowest carbon intensity of power sold among major UK energy suppliers in 2015/16 - 53% below the UK average.
- In 2016, we emitted 63% less carbon for every pound of revenue raised than in 2015.
- Read more about our commitment to safeguarding the environment.
CDP, formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project, is an international non-profit NGO that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. CDP were voted the number one climate research provider by investors and work with institutional investors with assets of US$100 trillion. Over 6,300 companies with 55% of the global market capitalisation, disclosed environmental data to CDP in 2017.
Centrica Media Relations: +44 (0)1784 843 000
Centrica Investor Relations: +44 (0)1753 494 900