Competitor Insight Analyst
British Gas Business(BGB) is the business-to-business division of British Gas, one of the world’s oldest companies with a history dating back over 200 years. The British Gas brand is one of the best-known names in the UK and with an estimated brand value of around US$2,726m is the top brand in the energy sector (BrandZ 2017).
BGB supplies gas, electricity and a wide range of energy management services to over 600,000 micro-businesses; small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) and large industrial and commercial (I&C) companies, in both the public and private sectors. We help our customers, small or large, with their energy needs by providing expert advice and solutions that simplify and enhance the utility experience.
We are currently looking for a talented and creative Analyst with strong problem-solving skills and intellectual curiosity to help us to identify key market and competitor insights from multiple sources of information, build visually engaging dashboards that highlight trends in the data, factsheets and reports that bring to life the external environment and derive actionable insights.
- Location: Windsor in West London with option for Oxford or Leicester
The Competitor Insight Team sits within the Strategy & Portfolio Optimisation function. Our team is made up of insight professionals who are passionate about tracking and analysing competitor activity and using data and insight to support the overall business strategy. We are small team with high visibility across the business and a mission to become a dedicated, independent and trusted partner that delivers 360 insight.
As a Competitor Insight Analyst you will be responsible for gathering, analysing and delivering intelligence on current levels of pricing competitiveness across product types, regions and meter types. You'll also collate views of current propositions in the market, details of terms of supply, competitor activity and routes to market etc.
Your day to day duties will include:
- Ensuring the business is fully up to speed on all relevant competitor moves in the B2B electricity and gas markets as well as energy services (maintenance and repairs). This will involve gathering, filtering and sharing news, tailored to engage multiple stakeholders from MD through to Directors through to Managers
- Develop and maintain regular reporting on competitor pricing activity including running spot checks to corroborate wider trends
- Review and analyse market data from a range of sources (including e.g. Ofgem Segmental Statements)
- Compile detailed competitor profiles (including small suppliers) on current market strategy, strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats
- Support recommendations based on competitor insight on how changes to strategy could create incremental commercial value
- Perform analysis and research on future and emerging trends in the B2B Energy market, including identifying potential new business models and technologies that could be future growth opportunities
- Support conversations with third party providers of market intelligence, recommending ways to continuously improve our capability
We are looking for a passionate and driven candidate with experience in market data analysis or insight in the energy sector or in other industries such as insurance, banking or telecoms. To be great in this role you'll have an inquisitive mind and thirst for knowledge, always looking to understand our marketplace and the latest developments in our industry. Ideally you'll be educated to degree level and have strong numerical ability.
In addition you'll need the following skills, competencies and experience:
- Ability to interpret data and create insight, highlighting key issues, trends or exceptions
- Numerate with good analytical skills
- Strong customer focus, understanding how customers perceive the competitive landscape
- Strong commercial awareness and ability to interpret financial statements
- Ability to prioritise work independently on behalf of the team
- Strong communication skills with an ability to deliver compelling messages verbally and in writing
- Experience of working in a customer facing business, ideally in insight-led or analytic roles with exposure to the external marketplace
- Experience in working with a wide group of stakeholders to influence hypotheses and deliver recommendations
- Experience in deriving key insights from complex data and presenting these findings to senior stakeholders
- Experience of working in a fast paced, multi-site environment
- Experience designing, automating and maintaining visually engaging dashboards
Salary: Mid to late £30k’s based on experience plus excellent benefits
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Competitor Insight Analyst R9935048’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.