Commercial Analyst - Regulated
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
The Regulated Commercial Analyst is responsible for regular and ad-hoc analysis in support of the Regulated Commercial Team. The Regulated Commercial Analyst will undertake research and analysis specifically related to the unique aspects of the regulated business such as forecasting and analysis in preparation for non-energy and energy regulatory applications, analysis of regulatory decisions, and review of cost and revenue drivers. Through their analysis the individual will be tasked with helping understand the regulated business better, improving the customer experience, and making the regulated business more efficient. The individual will work as part of the Commercial team, however, will work directly with the Operations, Finance and Regulatory teams on a regular basis to ensure success of the regulated business in the Alberta marketplace. This individual will also be asked to prepare presentation materials to communicate the results of their analysis and other relevant information with internal and external stakeholders.
- Superior analytical skills including expertise in Excel and model development
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Demonstrated problem solving skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Advanced research skills
- VBA skills an asset
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to excel in a fast paced, changing environment; effectively managing multiple activities and meeting deadlines
- Strong knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- 3-5 years of experience in financial or related analysis
- University degree and 2-5 years of related experience
- Preference for candidates with experience within the energy industry, ideally in customer operations, finance, compliance or regulatory affairs.
- Lead analysis in support of energy and non-energy regulatory applications including forecasting and scenario analysis.
- Develop robust models in support of financial results for the regulated business.
- Assist in the development of regulatory applications including modelling of various forecast assumptions, narrative development and editing.
- Work closely with Finance and Operations teams to undertake monthly review and analysis of actual revenues and costs in comparison to the applied for or approved revenues and costs.
- Provide ad hoc financial and other analysis in support of the regulated business.
- Assist with ongoing studies and contractor engagement in support of regulatory applications as required.
- Provide quality assurance and ongoing improvement of the revenue requirement model.
- Provide ad hoc analytical support and expertise to the Regulated Commercial group.
- Assist in the development of various presentation materials including PowerPoint presentations.
- Reports to Senior Manager, Regulated Commercial
- Key Relationships include DER functional groups, corporate resources, and external suppliers.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability