Salary; Up to £60,000 dependent on experience + bonus & excellent benefits
We’re developing solutions for controlling and integrating everything in the home. We're looking to connect heating, smart plugs, light bulbs, sensors and more. In the Abstraction Team, you will mainly develop code that runs on the Hive Hub that lives in hundreds of thousands of people's homes across the UK and North America. You will develop the connectivity layer between an ever growing number of devices and our cloud platform.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis, you will among other things will:
- Work in an agile environment with a dynamic and highly skilled team Develop support for new devices and device types
- Design and implement support for various radio and IP based protocols
- Develop “synthetic devices” - combining multiple ordinary devices into something unique to the home
- Write and maintain a suite of automated tests that ensure the robustness of our system
In the longer term, you’ll be:
- Involved in making the architectural decisions that ensure that we develop the right solutions
- Given the opportunity to conduct research into new product areas
We are looking for an experienced object-oriented developer who wants to work in home automation. Not only do you have a passion for software development and a solid sense of quality and polish, but as an engineer you demonstrate a genuine interest in understanding the problem domain, in developing a robust user experience and in working with a diverse team of specialists to deliver a flagship consumer product.
It will help if you have
- Commercial experience with Java SE and Java build tools such as Maven and Gradle
- Commercial experience with Linux environments
- Experience of working in an agile environment
- Experience in designing robust, highly scalable systems
- Experience with radio and IP based protocols
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases and cloud services
- Commercial experience with test frameworks at different layers
- Comfortable working on Unix-like systems
- Commercial experience with Git or other DVCSs
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are.
We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Software Developer R9939732 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.