Legal Counsel - Corporate
We have a fantastic development opportunity within our Corporate Services Legal team for a Corporate Legal Counsel. This is a hands-on strategic role where you will be reporting directly into the Head of Legal, Corporate providing practical legal advice to senior stakeholders up to board level on Centrica’s corporate/ group level activities.
This role would be ideal for a junior – mid level qualified private -practice lawyer with experience providing corporate and transactional advice to listed/ large corporates & who is looking to accelerate their career with a FTSE 100.
- Location: Windsor
- Competitive Salary & Benefits Package
- Be a key member of a strong, high performing legal team delivering high quality, practical and pragmatic legal and transaction support for Centrica’s corporate / group level activities including:
- UK plc work (e.g. AGM, UKLA matters)
- group structuring and reorganisations
- structuring and effecting group level transactions
- integration of acquired companies and businesses
- legal management of strategic relationships (e.g. pension trustees, auditors)
- Treasury work (banking, capital markets etc)
- Draft and negotiate corporate and transaction documents reflective of Centrica’s requirements
- Manage legal transactions to enable commercially optimal, swift and cost effective delivery
- Advise decision makers within the business to enable them to take risk-based decisions
- Use professional knowledge and experience as a primary resource and instruct and manage a range of external counsel and other advisers when required on a project-by-project basis
- Engage and work closely with other teams within Centrica Legal as necessary in order to ensure delivery of seamless and co-ordinated advice (for example, Business Unit support, Competition, Employment and IP teams)
- Engage and work closely with business and other functional teams within Centrica in order to help deliver transactions successfully (for example, Secretariat, M&A, Finance, Tax, HR)
- Maintain active professional awareness of legal developments affecting the Centrica group
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of business colleagues at all levels of seniority
- A strong team player who wants to contribute to the success of the Corporate legal team
- Strong negotiator with excellent time management and organisational skills as well as an effective written and verbal communicator
- Willingness to expand into new areas of practice, ability to learn quickly & deal with ambiguity
- Qualified lawyer with a UK practising certificate
- Proven drafting, negotiation, transaction management and advising skills
- Knowledge and experience of UK corporate law and market practice
- Previous experience working as a junior/ mid-level UK corporate/ M&A associate in private practice
- Experience dealing with legal matters working directly with business colleagues
- Experience of advising on a diverse portfolio would be helpful
- Experience of working with/ in a large corporate company
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Legal Counsel - Corporate R9942889’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.