Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
Location; Rathbone Place, London (5 minutes from Tottenham court road tube station)
Salary; Competitive + bonus & excellent benefits
Connected Home is a product division of Centrica responsible for developing new ways to help customers engage with their energy consumption. The first product, Hive Active Heating, an IoT-based remote management app for central heating schedules, launched in late 2013 and went on to win many industry awards for innovation and customer experience.
The Hive product is already operating at significant scale and our user base and functional breadth is accelerating quickly!
As a platform software engineer you'll be developing software for our cutting-edge IoT cloud platform. Although we currently develop most of our software in Java, it's a complex and fast-moving ecosystem, and you may well find yourself developing Spring Boot microservices one day, and Node.js Lambdas the next!
What will you be up to
- You'll be joining a Scrum team responsible for a subset of the platform (customer notifications, for example). We strongly believe in agile development, and you can expect to get involved in all the principles and practises associated with it
- We'll get you up to speed on our current technology stack as quickly as possible, and you'll find yourself committing code to key components straight away. Before long you'll be influencing the architecture & strategy, creating new capabilities and business opportunities.
- You'll be working with a broad selection of AWS and best-of-breed third party services, which you'll need to understand and make good use of. You'll be encouraged to try out new tools & technologies, and share your experiences with the team.
- You'll develop and manage new components, libraries and services to support the delivery of new products. You'll help to select the right languages, frameworks and tooling for the job, and get it delivered cost-effectively and on time.
- You'll spend plenty of time on code reviews, giving honest and constructive feedback to your teammates and receiving it in return.
- You'll make sure that your components are properly tested, instrumented and monitored, because you'll be responsible for them in production. You write it... you run it!
- You'll want to help us create a positive culture of customer focus, continuous improvement, technical excellence, professional conduct, ownership and collaboration
To be brilliant in this role you will have/be
- Degree level or equivalent, ideally in a subject containing a significant software development component, or have Equivalent industry experience of working in a high scale innovative technical environment
- A comprehensive working knowledge of common Amazon Web Services (such as EC2, S3, CloudFormation, AWS Lambda, RDS, SNS), and familiarity with emerging technologies such as Amazon IoT and CodePipeline.
- Working knowledge of agile delivery practices
- Working knowledge of development and collaboration tools used at Connected Home, such as Jira, git, github, maven, IntelliJ IDEA, TeamCity, ELK/Elastic stack, WaveFront, Slack, Confluence, Google docs.
- Familiarity with typical enterprise architecture tools and standards such as UML
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are. We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption. Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing Senior Software Engineer R9925722 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.