Sr. Trader, West Gas
North America Business is the largest commercial and industrial retailer in North America based on customer numbers. It provides natural gas and electricity sales to small, medium and large-size businesses, public institutions, and government.
The Senior Trader is a senior member of the NAB West Gas Team located in either Calgary, Alberta, Canada, or Houston, Texas, USA This role is responsible for setting the commercial gas strategy for Pacific Northwest and Rockies to the Desert Southwest in conjunction with the overall West Gas strategy. The role reports directly to the Director – West Gas Trading. The role will oversee pricing, and optimization in support of both wholesale trading, origination and C&I markets.
- University degree, MBA or equivalent preferred
- Direct experience in the US West markets – Pac Northwest and Rockies
- Superior knowledge of West US–specifically relationships between market and supply areas of Permian, Rockies, California and Midwest.
- 5-7 years commercial energy experience including:
- Extensive knowledge of physical flows and point trading is required.
- Managing assets across this region
- Managing and flowing gas transportation contracts
- Working with utilities, gas producers, and C&I markets
- Excellent Executive / Customer presentation skills
- Superior financial analysis skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Set and achieve profit targets
- Effectively manage optimization and retail supply risk
- Effectively manage and create value from assets.
- Develop origination capabilities to target utilities, end users and sources of advantaged supply
- Support NAB West Gas with advantage supply, asset management and market knowledge
- Ensure consistent risk management practices and processes are implemented across the region
- Supervise/mentor/develop commercial skills & leadership behaviors
- Collaborate with Origination and Strategy groups on market approach and issue resolution
- Collaborate with Origination and Sales groups to create best in class process for pricing, load forecasting and position management
- Establish contracts with pipelines and counterparties
Skills and Competencies
- Critical Thinking/Creative Thinking: Identify key issues, problems & opportunities; assess a range of situations & solutions, using analysis to draw appropriate conclusions and judgments.
- Collaboration/Influencing: applies range of appropriate behaviors and influencing styles to gain the support, trust, and credibility of both internal and external sales clients and partners to effectively and efficiently achieve stated business objectives.
- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions;
- Thinks and talks strategy. Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Team Player: Works well with multiple stakeholders, including risk, credit, legal, sales, origination and other commercial staff
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability