Junior Data Analyst
We require a Junior Data Analyst to work within the Data and Analytics team at Connected Home, helping us to explore our smart home sensor data and deliver insights that help define future products and features.
- Location - London
- Salary - £40.000 (possible flex based depending experience) + bonus & excellent corporate benefits
What will you be up to
The Role will involve:
- Supporting the work of Analysts and Data Scientists within the Data Platform team in order to generate insights that deepen our knowledge of our customers and help us enrich and improve our products and services.
- Retrieving, cleaning, and undertaking Exploratory Data Analysis on the large data sets produced by our network of IoT products and business intelligence systems.
- Conducting data analysis in a rigorous and repeatable manner and communicating insights effectively to colleagues across Connected Home.
The challenges for success in this role are
- Understanding our customers and the different sources of data we have available and how they can be used together to deliver fresh and useful insights.
- Delivering accurate data sets and analysis results in a timely manner.
- Learning how to effectively use new storage and processing technologies as they are adopted by the Data Platform team.
- To continually reflect and improve on ways of working, to demonstrate better approaches to the process of analysis and sharing of insights. Always pushing the rest of the team to improve.
Most important is the ability to understand a problem, select the right tools for the job, and to deliver accurate results in a timely fashion. You will be able to demonstrate a methodical approach to manipulating and analysing datasets; a background in a numerate discipline and a good grasp of statistics will help. An interest understanding the IoT and how it can help our customers is essential. You will have a pragmatic outlook and won’t be deterred by the kind of messy data that is generated by humans and sensors.
Our existing analysts work with an open source stack so experience in Python, Jupyter Notebooks, and the storage technologies Cassandra, ElasticSearch, and SQL, would be an advantage but an interest in and ability to learn technologies such as these is essential.
You will be a natural story teller and able to explain and breakdown what you have done and what the results mean to colleagues from different backgrounds and professional disciplines. Any skills in data visualisation will help in this regard. You’ll naturally seek feedback on your work and look for ways to improve.
Educated to degree level with strong numerical / analytical component (or equivalent)
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are.
We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Junior Data Analyst R9940165 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.