Director of Business Development - Commercial Solar - Distributed Energy
The Director of Business Development is responsible for generating C&I (including non-profit education, and municipalities) solar sales utilizing company resources to develop a system design, production estimate and cost estimate for the customer. The Director will walk a prospective customer through the various considerations required for installing and operating a solar system. The individual will show a prospective customer why a solar system designed, constructed, warrantied and maintained by Direct Energy Solar is superior to other offerings in the marketplace. To a great degree, the sales process will involve the analysis of the customers current electrical utilization and spending, as well as the various financing alternatives available to customer in order to demonstrate how solar will save them money. Duties include responding to sales leads, documenting all sales activity into SalesForce, building new business relationships, creating sales pipelines, and most importantly closing new business to successfully grow Direct Energy’s solar business.
- A minimum of five years’ experience successfully selling a complex product or service, preferable in the C&I market.
- Must demonstrate a strong record of achievement by consistently outperforming quotas, winning sales awards, and growing a market.
- Strong financial skills to model and present financing alternatives for the customer.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, presentation and negotiation.
- Experience in relevant computer applications, including spreadsheets and CRM.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Driver’s license.
- Aggressively pursue and develop new leads: calling warm prospects identified through professional networking, referral partnerships, residential sales and other Direct Energy businesses
- Collaborate with North American Distributed Energy (DE) businesses on opportunities, incorporate other DE solutions to provide customers with integrated energy solutions.
- Maintain SalesForce database of all leads and opportunities, while tracking all activities, from initial lead development through close and fulfillment.
- Continually work to generate sales through sales activities including tradeshows, networking, cold-calling, industry events, speaking opportunities, and referrals.
- Develop and maintain a detailed knowledge of commercial solar products, competitor offerings, SREC valuations and financing products
- Obtain customer contracts, addendums, credit applications, and other paperwork correctly and in a timely manner and update customer files in Salesforce.
- Explain the SREC registration and generation process and obtain necessary SREC registration paperwork from customers.
- Respond promptly and professionally to leads and potential customers.
- Provide management with oral and written reports on customer needs, problems, interests, market situations, competitive activities, and potential for new products.
- Accurately forecast contract closing timeframes, project values, and gross margin estimates.
- Address ongoing customer concerns and complaints that arise prior to installation.
- Facilitate training of new Commercial Sales Executives, as requested.
- All other duties as assigned.