Team Lead, Accounting
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager of Accounting in Calgary, the Team Lead of Settlements is responsible for Alberta wholesale and retail settlement activities (Gas & Power). The role is accountable for ensuring completion of settlement processing, data analysis, financial and corporate reporting, internal control testing and supporting all external audit requests related to Alberta settlements. Additional responsibilities will include monitoring the settlement system for updates as required including liaising with developers and performing user acceptance testing to changes while also supporting the other areas of the finance and accounting team during peak times.
- Review and approve approximately $2.0B in annual commodity and distribution invoices.
- Provide reconciliation and analysis of distribution charges for the Regulated and De-regulated segments
- Provide key support for external audit of revenue for the Alberta market
- Build and maintain settlement and billing volume balancing schedules as well as other audit schedules. Identify, track and resolve exceptions as required. Ensure workload is distributed and coordinate cross training of tasks
- Support the Finance department in the Regulated Rate Application process and numerous audit requests (financial, risk and controls, regulatory, etc.)
- Facilitate maintenance of Direct Energy’s proprietary electricity and gas settlement and revenue assurance systems (NOMAD) by partnering with production support staff
- Create test plans/cases, work with production support staff, and perform user acceptance testing for system enhancements and changes
- Complete ad hoc requests from various departments timely and accurately
Competencies and Qualifications
- Experience with Oracle, MS Access, MS Excel, and SQL (TOAD, SQL Developer, Golden, etc.) is required
- System analysis and design including user acceptance testing preferred
- Effective communication skills and experience interacting with senior leaders
- Ability to independently manage multiple tasks, projects and ability to prioritize
- Ability to self-review work and adapt to change
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Finance or Accounting Bachelor’s Degree required
- 5 + years of accounting / finance experience including Alberta wholesale and/or retail settlement
- Knowledge of Alberta Utilities Commission rules for tariff bill code, system settlement codes for electricity and natural gas (AUC Rules 4/21/28).
- SAP / Business Objects / BPC experience a plus
- Previous experience in a utility billing or customer care environment
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability