The Data Scientist identifies opportunities for complex analysis, gathers and analyses data to solve and address highly complex problems, and evaluates scenarios to make predictions on future outcomes and support decision making
As a Data Scientist, you’ll implement innovative ideas to deliver data science products. In doing so, you will:
- Be an expert and thought leader on Data Science, analytics and techniques working closely with the Analytics Manager and their team, and other analytical teams across UKB/UKH and Centrica;
- Interpret and provide solutions to business and systems problems using data analysis, data mining, optimisation tools, machine learning techniques and statistics;
- Design and deploy data science and technology-based algorithmic solutions to address business opportunities;
- Understand and utilise new technologies to build complex solutions using a range of tools including R, Python and Spark;
- Provide consultative subject matter expertise; make suggestions for improvement;
- Support the strategy for the way we create a 360 degree customer understanding to support the entire organisation in their strategic and tactical decision making;
- Be the advanced analytics champion within the organisation;
- Within all aspects of the role put the Customer at the heart of decision making and support the UKES&S ambition to lead the digital transformation of our industry
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong track record in data analytics and modelling, and working with big data.
- A strong analytical mindset.
- Good background and experience in turning data into actionable stories, and its effective use to drive organisational change and superb customer outcomes.
- Strong knowledge of insight tools and methodologies.
- High levels of flexibility to adapt to changing demand and market situations.
- Good communication, presentation, explanation and influencing skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to influence and partner across groups and teams, external companies and organisations.
- Good prioritisation and organisational skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and visionary thinking: An independent worker, that is motivated and goal oriented.
Technical Capability & Qualifications
- Preferred PhD or MSc in numerical subjects, for example Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science or relevant discipline and professional qualifications.
- Advanced technical skills, including strong experience in machine learning algorithms for use on large data sets, expert level proficiency in statistical packages like R. Preferable skills in SQL, Python, Linux/Unix or equivalent.
- Experience and demonstrable evidence of programming and scripting proficiency, and debugging
- Exposure to implementing supervised machine learning algorithms at scale;
- Experience designing and developing automated analytic software, techniques, and algorithms
Competitive salary and benefits.
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Data Scientist R9945562’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.