Business Development Manager - Utility Partnerships - Distributed Energy
Business Development Manager – Solutions, is a member of the Centrica Business Solutions - Distributed Energy (DEB – NADE) sales team reporting to the Utility Partnership Sales lead. This role is expected to work broadly and collaboratively across DEB to achieve an exciting and innovative growth agenda to deliver distributed energy solutions for large energy users.
Specifically, this revenue generating role will be responsible for the successful origination through to sales close of complex program based and project based contracts with Utility partners in North America, often across multiple products, sites, and partners:
- Program types may include utility Non-Wire Alternatives (NWA), energy efficiency and demand response programs, where the individual will be responsible for opportunity origination and proposal development.
- Solutions may include construction, installation, operation and maintenance of distributed energy sources and associated infrastructure such as battery storage, Combined Heat & Power and traditional gensets, solar PV, and other efficiency upgrades.
- Contracting and structuring methods for Solutions may include financing such as in the form on Energy Performance Contracts and long term support such as Energy Services Agreements.
- Contracted services should frequently include other turn-key energy aspects; including structured energy supply, demand response participation and renewable credit purchasing
- University degree (business, economics, engineering preferred), MBA or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years of sales experience, with a track record of new business development
- Experience in the energy industry is strongly preferred
- Experience working on Utility DER programs is preferable
- Excellent executive / customer presentation skills
- Ability to communicate with influence and quickly build credible relationships
- Proven track record of developing commercial projects
- Knowledge of North American natural gas and power markets preferred
- Quick study; capable of grasping the structure & intricacies of the energy business & markets
- Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Experience working in a large/global company with matrix structure/relationships preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel is a must; frequent and regular visits to prospects and customers
The Business Development Manager will be a key part of negotiations with third-parties including customers and suppliers; and offer critical partnership to Commercial, Delivery and Mobilization functions & leaders and as such:
- Accountability for originating sales leads and prospects, working with Marketing to participate in trade shows, industry talks and other sales presentation opportunities
- Leverage existing network and build new pipeline of utility programs
- Work closely with Marketing and Sales Support to constantly scan for new credible sources of leads and sales opportunities, and to develop and deliver high quality/professional proposals and presentations
- Supporting Utility sales lead and peer development team to manage the project pipeline and develop forecasts
- Accountability for closing deals; creating positive relationships and transactional progress while working with Commercial team on negotiations to completion
- Run economic models to assess project feasibility, and input into Commercial team pricing and deal structuring activities
- Work closely with cross-functional internal teams, including design, engineering, construction management and others to help develop and deliver projects
Based in Iselin, NJ. Expected travel/off-site requirements to be required. Frequent and regular travel to see prospects and customers.