Salary; Up to £50,000 dependent on experience + bonus & excellent benefits
We’re developing solutions for controlling and integrating everything in the home. We're looking to connect heating, smart plugs, light bulbs, sensors and more. In the Abstraction Team, you will mainly develop code that runs on the Hive Hub that lives in hundreds of thousands of people's homes across the UK and North America.
You will develop the connectivity layer between an ever growing number of devices and our cloud platform.
What you'll be doing
- On a day to day basis, you will among other things will:
- Work in an agile environment with a dynamic and highly skilled team Develop support for new devices and device types
- Design and implement support for various radio and IP based protocols
- Develop “synthetic devices” - combining multiple ordinary devices into something unique to the home
- Write and maintain a suite of automated tests that ensure the robustness of our system
In the longer term, you’ll be:
- Involved in making the architectural decisions that ensure that we develop the right solutions
- Given the opportunity to conduct research into new product areas
We are looking for an experienced object-oriented developer who wants to work in home automation. Not only do you have a passion for software development and a solid sense of quality and polish, but as an engineer you demonstrate a genuine interest in understanding the problem domain, in developing a robust user experience and in working with a diverse team of specialists to deliver a flagship consumer product.
To be brilliant in this role:
- Very experienced with an object orientated language, design patterns, and multi-threaded development
- Able to architect and design flexible and reusable components, features and systems
- A team player who likes to discuss solutions and ideas
- Motivated by challenges and new opportunities
It will help if you have
- Commercial experience with Java SE and Java build tools such as Maven and Gradle
- Commercial experience with Linux environments
- Experience of working in an agile environment
- Experience in designing robust, highly scalable systems
- Experience with radio and IP based protocols
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases and cloud services
- Commercial experience with test frameworks at different layers
- Comfortable working on Unix-like systems
- Commercial experience with Git or other DVCSs
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Software Developer R9941695’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.