Development Manager - Merchant Power
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximize value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow. We are currently looking to identify a Senior Development Manager to become a key member of a merchant power team to establish and build a North America Merchant Power business. Our goal is to build a 400MW energy portfolio of flexible generation over a 5 year period. This development manager will help us:
- Initial priority will be to identify and develop the first wave of investment opportunities, progressing to final investment decision.
- Lead the overall development of specific investment opportunities from concept stage through to FID in order to underpin the DE&P growth
- Identify flexible power investment opportunities through market insight, partnership development and potentially acquisitions
- Experience in working with external bodies
- Deep power sector expertise (technology and market structures)
- Analysis and commercial negotiation
- Power project development experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Collaboration – Capable of building close, constructive working relationships across different work functions
- Technology – good understanding of power generation technologies and technical factors to consider during construction and operation
- Market Insight – Expertise in power flexibility markets. Able to understand business models and identify highest value opportunities. Expertise in US markets desirable.
- Financial – ability to develop and review financial models and to optimize the business case
- Development – expertise in power project development (technical and commercial)
- Commercial – ability to assess opportunities, support and lead due diligence process as appropriate
- Negotiation – ability to negotiate with stakeholders, suppliers and counter parties
- Lead activity to secure planning permissions, consents, land agreements and investment approvals for new investments, drawing on resource from the UK based Merchant Power development team.
- Secure all necessary permissions, consents, permits, land rights, regulatory approvals and grid connections
- Own the project business case and budget prioritize activity, identify value opportunities and secure investment approvals.
- Leverage required resources from the relevant engineering, HSEQ, project and asset optimization teams to complete feasibility studies, select preferred suppliers and negotiate key contracts