Centrica Storage Limited (CSL) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Centrica plc and is legally, financially and physically separate from the rest of Centrica. CSL operates the Rough gas storage facility in the southern North Sea and the Easington onshore gas processing terminal in East Yorkshire. It is the largest gas storage facility in the UK, providing approximately 70% of space and able to meet approximately 10% of the UK’s current peak gas demand.
- Location: Hessle - Woodland House
- Full time; Permanent
The Commercial Analyst provides financial support for the CSL business, ensuring it understands the financial impact of its hedging strategy, movements in market prices (both actual and forecast) and the performance of its assets in delivering gas to the market. The Commercial Analyst will understand the nature of CSL’s commercial contracts (whether physical deals or derivative financial instruments) and interpret these in the light of accounting standards to ensure the management accounts, forecasts and group reporting correctly reflect these contracts. The Commercial Analyst will also provide meaningful commentary (written and verbal) to aid understanding by group, senior management and those with direct control over the operation of the assets themselves. A key part of the role is to provide a simple and clear understanding of complex commercial issues and to assist the business in developing its risk management and hedging strategy and manage the performance of the Energy Markets & Trading division in delivering that strategy.
Your day to day duties will include:
- Develop and prepare relevant, regular and timely reporting for the business to understand
- Provide regularly updated revenue forecasts (short-term and long-term) taking into account market conditions, anticipated and actual asset performance and CSL’s hedging strategy
- Provide analysis of different risk-reduction and hedging strategies and the potential upsides and downsides of each to assist senior management in determining the best strategy to adopt
- Identify trends in financial performance, providing challenge and recommendations, working with decision makers to mitigate risk and maximise opportunities
- Manage contracts relating to the sale of condensate extracted alongside natural gas including (storage, pipeline and sales contracts)
- Develop a program of presentations and training to help the operational teams better understand the commercial environment in which they operate to help further inform their decision-making and create business goal alignment
- Production of month-end revenue journals
- Provide revenue, cash flow and balance sheet analysis and commentary for monthly, half-yearly and annual reporting process as well as internal management accounts
- Preparation of balance sheet reconciliations relating to derivative and other trading balances
- Provide technical support for the statutory accounts preparation process
We’re looking for somebody with the following qualifications and experience:
- Qualified accountant (CIMA, ACCA, or ACA)
- Strong accounting and compliance backgrounds
- Proven MS Excel skills
- SAP knowledge desirable
- Analytical and numerical skills with an understanding of company financial information and accounts
- Financial modelling experience
- Experience/understanding of trading environment, ideally energy desirable
- Ability to communicate effectively and explain complex ideas in simple terms with finance and non-finance staff
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with non-finance staff to ensure an excellent relationship with finance is maintained and rapport developed
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organisational skills and ability to deliver to time under pressure
- Able to manage multiple deliverables and support others in the team as needed
Competitive salary and benefits.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: Commercial Analyst R9940877’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.