MI Development Manager
The Management Information (MI) team is part of the wider Data Insights & Customer Value Management (DICVM) team, that are responsible for supporting the core business units with all of their customer insight and management information needs. The vision for the team is “Putting customers and data at the heart of decision-making”.
The MI team are responsible for the delivery of a suite of business performance management services, which includes: daily operational reporting, regular business performance reporting, executive level KPI reporting and external regulatory reporting.
The MI Development Manager delivers upon the design and implementation of Centrica’s MI infrastructure. You will use your Business Intelligence knowledge and skills to lead the development and implementation of world-class MI reporting for Business Analysts to collaboratively make timely and effective decisions resulting in profitable revenue growth using an agile approach.
- Lead and take accountability for the work of the MI developers and MI testers.
- Mentor and coach technical resources (People Management).
- Holistically evaluate individual’s performance and capability development.
- Approve and be accountable for technical solution designs together with the MI Solution Designer
- Provide project task estimations to the MI Planning Manager.
- Assign and set development tasks to the MI developers and MI testers.
- Evaluate project tasks and manage issues on detailed work item level.
- Ensure availability and resource of MI developers for improvements of the MI environment.
- Take full ownership that new solutions, reports and code provided by the MI developers meet company standards for readability, reliability and performance.
- Lead all developers to apply agreed configuration and environment mgmt practices.
- Ensure collaboration between development and test resources to adopt integrated iterative testing cycles
- Oversee and be accountable for compliance and efficient operation of applications and tools with the Solution Designer and the IS team.
- Escalate, track and provide solution directions for development issues that developers and testers are not timely or not able to resolve.
- Provide introduction documentation for new MI Developers and MI Testers.
- Provide important and value-adding knowledge transfer to developers and testers such as applying development guidelines and standards for design and development and highlighting “best practices”.
- Be accountable for the full scope and cycle of design, develop and documentation of new MI solutions such as reports, dashboards, KPI’s including data visualisation layers and data marts.
- Provide supporting technical documentation for all solutions delivered.
- Advanced skills in transforming business requirements into reports and other visualisations.
- Advanced skills in information innovation and analysis.
- Competent in report design.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) in Business Intelligence or equivalent. Advanced skills in MS SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), MS SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), MS Office BI (Excel, PowerPivot), MS Sharepoint Server and Qlikview.
- Awareness of database design and big data architectures (Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, Pig).
- Competent in all Business Intelligence testing requirements.
- Good understanding of the process, challenges, risks and dependencies of BI projects.
- Advanced skills in development planning.
- Strong leader.
- Excellent in people management.
- Excellent team player.
- Structured and strong in planning and issues solving.
- Extrovert personality with strong communicative skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business Intelligence or equivalent.
- Extensive experience as a Development Manager.
- Advanced experience of people management, development and mentoring.
- Advanced experience of developing large scale enterprise BI Solutions.
- Strong experience with Agile (SCRUM) project methodologies.
Competitive salary and benefits
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: MI Development Manager R9940207’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.