Location; Rathbone Place, London
Salary; £Competitive + bonus and excellent benefits
Hive connected products and smart services are designed to help you make more time for the stuff you love by making daily living easier. Here at Hive we create elegant, delightful (not to mention award-winning) digital experiences on mobile, tablet, desktop, Apple watch and Amazon Echo.
We’re looking for a User Researcher that will undertake activities to ensure products are created with user requirements right at the heart. During an engagement you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary project team following direction, guidance and approach set by the Head of Experience Design and the Head of Product.
User Researchers work to generate the feedback and insight digital delivery teams need to build a clear picture of their users and deliver solutions that they need. You’ll support clients by generating new and useful user insights and translating it into features and actions that will allow them to improve their digital service for users.
You should be experienced in using a variety of user testing methodologies to reveal actionable customer insights. Have excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to quickly develop recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative evidence. You will need to be confident in explaining user needs to senior clients and stakeholders, and for acting as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and the client at large. You will also be comfortable working with data, from gathering and analysis through to design and presentation.
The User Researcher Will Be Required To
- Plan, design and conduct in-house usability testing sessions to support the design and development of our products and services
- Lead the usability testing process from developing user recruitment briefs through to test moderation, analysis and report writing
- Conduct in-house research to test new product and concept developments (including user requirements gathering and early stage concept and prototype testing, guerrilla research, and other approaches to ensuring the user need is fully understood in the service design)
- Work with the Design/Product Team to devise research strategies to generate focused insights and to convert concepts into high quality stimulus material
- Work closely with designers and developers to turn user data into actionable product/service requirements that feed into prototype development, and influence product direction
- Design, script and analyse ad-hoc quantitative surveys
- Support ad-hoc qualitative/quantitative research projects such as proposition development, customer experience mapping and product scope
- Apply knowledge in human factors, ethnography, and the user-centred design process to product and service design in an iterative development environment
- Present findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers
- Manage day-to-day operations with a range of usability and market research agencies with accountability for schedules, value for money and deliverables
- Promote user centred design principles and best practice
- Up-skill and impart knowledge onto other members of the team to ensure user research is embedded into everything we do
Your Duties And Responsibilities
This role will involve extensive interaction with customers, senior stakeholders, management and third party sub-contractors. Strong analytical, organisational, and presentation skills are essential combined with excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to manage expectations and issues effectively and establish/maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence. Essential Skills & Capability Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Experience of working in implementing complex enterprise-level projects in an agile development environment with User Experience teams, designers and developers to create new digital products and services
- Proven experience of gathering user requirements for application based services in platforms such as iOS, Android and Web
- Proven experience of managing, executing and analysing usability test sessions
- Experience of audience modelling and developing design personas
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building and support the designers as they go through the design sprints and rounds of iterations
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence. Desirable Skills & Capability Degree in HCI/Usability/Cognitive Psychology/Market Research or equivalent experience
- Experience across mobile & web content, tools and transactional services, especially those with complex user journeys
- Ability to support a progressive methodology to quality improvement
- Systems understanding – ability to reason about the system being built, what it is for and where its weak points could be.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: User Researcher R9931453’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.