Legal Counsel - Financial Services
Did you know we are one of the UK’s largest insurance groups, which includes a significant intermediary business and a medium-sized credit broking operation?
We have an exciting position for a Legal Counsel in the Financial Services team to provide financial services advice in the development, design, proposition, pricing & promotion on both FCA regulated and unregulated services products.
This role would suit someone who is recently qualified with some experience in providing advice for financial services regulated products and is looking to accelerate their career by either moving in-house or joining a high performing team who are focused on development.
• Location: Staines
To be a key resource within the Centrica legal team supporting the UK Home Services businesses and providing financial services advice more broadly across the organisation. The role is a broad commercial position but has a particular focus on financial services including insurance and consumer credit.
- Work closely with all areas of UK Home Services on a wide range of issues, providing pragmatic day-to-day advice to stakeholders on the application of legal obligations and financial services regulations to business decisions; advice on customer journeys and customer communications.
- Deliver timely, high quality, high impact and efficient support to enable the businesses to meet their objectives and effectively manage risk.
- Support the products and propositions teams in developing and launching new products and campaigns.
- Approve transactions, processes and documentation up to the limits specified in the delegation of authority and to manage the process to obtain approvals from senior managers where required.
- Ensure operational and regulatory risks are managed and escalated as appropriate.
- Support the Senior Counsel and Lead Counsel for Financial Services assisting with research and assistance in regulatory queries, enforcement activity or in responses to Government and Regulatory consultations.
- Advise UK Home Services in relation to customer issues (including both from a complaints and PR perspective)
- Partnering across the wider legal team and with key stakeholders including in particular the products, marketing, compliance and Home Installations teams, and enabling shared services to be delivered to other teams and business units effectively.
Essential skills to succeed:
- Legally qualified
- Previous experience of working in financial services (ideally insurance and consumer credit)
- Experience of building strong relationships at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Strong commercial judgment and communication skills
- Able to provide pragmatic advice delivering solutions to complex legal challenges
- Interpretation of and advice on regulatory and compliance requirements, balancing risk and commercial objectives
- Strong organisational skills
- Knowledge of FCA Handbook, particularly ICOBS and ideally CONC
- In house experience
- Previous experience of financial promotions
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing ‘Update required: Legal Counsel - Financial Services R9937174’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.