Centrica has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Electrical Engineer to join our ENER-G business in Salford, Manchester. ENER-G is a leading provider of sustainable and energy efficient CHP (Combined Heat and Power) and distributed generation solutions to clients in many private and public sector industries. We have a history of sustained growth and we have excellent opportunities for further significant expansion both in the UK and overseas.
This is a key role delivering the company’s growing portfolio of CHP projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for electrical engineering design from initial concept, through solution development and detailed design, to commissioning and handover.
- Detailed design of LV electrical solutions and specification of HV works for new and existing customer facilities
- Prepare electrical calculations and equipment specifications
- Prepare new and modify existing electrical drawings including control panel schematics, SLDs, BCDs and cable schedules
- Work alongside other Design and Engineering teams, clients and suppliers to optimise designs
- Assist the overall Solution Design team in creating cost estimates for electrical solutions
- Define scope of work and interfaces for subcontract packages
- Provide electrical engineering expertise to other stakeholders across ENER-G and Centrica DE&P (Distributed Energy and Power)
- Support the management of all HSE, technical and compliance risks associated with electrical systems
The role involves taking prime responsibility for electrical engineering deliverables on assigned projects, including defining and coordinating work packages for specialist subcontractors. Proven capability in the design and installation of electrical power systems is required. A strong focus on producing designs that minimise risk to installers and customers alike is essential.
A background in distributed generation, CHP or a related field is highly desirable. Applicants should be able to demonstrate a detailed understanding of a broad range of electrical technologies (generators, transformers, switchgear, cables, earthing, controls & instrumentation).
The ideal candidate:
- Degree/HND/HNC in Electrical Engineering or a related discipline
- Highly experienced in design of electrical systems for large industrial and commercial customers
- Ability to develop detailed yet practical and efficient designs for our customers
- Knowledge of legislation, standards, safe working practices, and environmental best practice
- Knowledge of control systems, machinery safety and fire protection would be an advantage
- Experience using electrical design software (Amtech, AutoCAD LT/Electrical) is desirable
- Detailed approach to design and documentation ensuring a ‘right-first-time’ outcome
- Sound written and presentation skills as well as excellent general communications skills
- Hold a full UK driving licence
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Andy.Malyon@centrica.com typing ‘Update required: Electrical Engineer R9938269’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.