Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com
The Manager, Mergers and Acquisitions, will be responsible for completing specific tasks as part of the consideration and execution of potential transactions (acquisitions, divestitures or partnerships). He/she is expected to rely upon his/her analytical, research, transactional and valuation skills. As a member of the North American M&A team, and also part of Centrica’s Group M&A team in the UK, this role will require the development of relationships not only within the corporate or functional groups but also among the Global Business Units, Centrica Consumer and Centrica Business. The Manager will also play a key role in the transaction process across all parties (internal stakeholders, and financial, legal, tax/accounting and transaction external advisors) and obtaining internal approvals.
This candidate will be exposed to a wide range of strategic and business development issues and will gain experience in a challenging and fast-paced corporate environment. The role requires proven analytical and financial acumen; flexibility; excellent project management skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks concurrently and an ability to produce high-quality output under tight deadlines.
In addition, strong commercial / business acumen, the aptitude to effectively lead teams made up diverse resources across the organization, the ability to work independently and strong written and oral communication abilities are essential skills for this role.
Reporting to the Vice President of Mergers and Acquisitions, the role is based in Houston, Texas.
- 7+ years of corporate finance / investment banking / accounting or comparable business experience is an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business / Finance / Economics / Accounting or like discipline is required; an MBA, CFA or accounting qualification is desired
- In-depth analytic and financial skill set
- Excellent financial modeling/analysis skills
- Understanding of accounting and tax principals
- Project management experience in a transaction setting is a plus
- A proactive and resourceful self-starter with ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Time management skills, prioritization capabilities and outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to listen and distill critical information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including advanced MS Office skills
- Strong team and interpersonal skills
- Experience in managing work to a deadline while maintaining highest quality standards
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- High energy, “can do” attitude
- Ability to travel to support any transaction and/or conduct business development
- Identify appropriate commercial initiatives, transactions or partnerships to benefit the company’s strategic objectives
- Evaluate the strategic fit, rationale and risks associated with M&A opportunities
- Manage the transaction process from inception to consummation and reporting
- Perform specific quantitative and qualitative analyses (economic and financial) in support of the evaluation and execution of M&A opportunities
- Work with internal stakeholders (lines of business, corporate groups), external advisors and counterparty (seller or buyer) representatives to gather required data to support such analyses
- Guide the preparation of project appraisal papers to support internal approvals
- Perform ad-hoc analysis, research, and communications support for North America’s or UK’s senior leadership and the broader M&A group
- Self-directed research and analysis into a wide variety of topics
- Preparation of high-impact communication materials, including papers and presentations
- Interaction and collaboration with C-level executives
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability