Area Engineering Manager
Salary: Competitive with £5,100 car allowance, bonus and benefits
To lead, develop and manage the safe construction of gas infrastructure networks, ensuring installations are fit for purpose, compliant with current legislation and standards required by statute along with licence, safety case and adopting customer requirements. This is a role requiring expert knowledge and experience to ensure the compliance of all works to ensure the corporate responsibilities of Centrica are fully represented and they are protected and to increase the profitability of the business and to drive a culture where customers are treated fairly and are properly informed.
The Area Engineering Manager (AEM) role varies considerably on a day to day basis, with a myriad of responsibilities covering, and not limited to, technical, commercial, managerial and legislative decision making to manage the effective delivery of both gas and electric infrastructure to our customers both internal and external. AEM’s operate on a defined area basis. They lead, develop and manage the safe construction of gas infrastructure networks ensuring installations are fit for purpose, compliant with current legislation and standards required by statute along with licence, achieve HSE compliance, meet GIRS Project Management scope, maintain BSI standards and conform to adopting IGT or customer requirements.
This is a role requiring in depth knowledge and experience to ensure all works meet the necessary industry specifications and make certain that the corporate responsibilities of Centrica are fully represented and protected. The AEM also works to increase the profitability of the business and to drive a culture where customers are treated fairly and are at all times properly informed.
The AEM position requires an experienced professional with proficient knowledge of the industry, a professionally qualified engineer possessing an accredited engineering status with the Engineering Council through affiliation with the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers - IGEM.
The AEM is responsible for the management and delivery of all Gas and Electricity infrastructure services and metering systems provided by appointed and accredited Service providers, supported by the technical assistance of an engineering officer for a particular geographical area within the UK. The AEM role includes management and development of major contracts for the procurement of construction services, materials and equipment.
The AEM ensures that the construction of gas and electricity networks by the competent service provider comply with current legislation, safety procedures, method statements, codes of practice and current industry standards, whilst also ensuring that projects are constructed safely and to agreed budget expenditure and ensures all New Connections Projects are delivered to meet customer expectations.
Additional Role Information
- The AEM has delegated responsibility from the Engineering Delivery Manager (Technical Advisor – Project Management) to undertake Service Provider Method Statement Reviews and Technical Site Audits on his/her behalf to meet GIG2 requirements.
- The Area Engineering Manager will ensure that the terms of the construction contracts are being met. This activity will cover areas such as standards of service, customer satisfaction, payment and claims, and all areas relating to the safe construction of networks. This will be achieved by regular liaison meetings with the Service Providers, analysis and interpretation of audit results and ensuring that all requirements have been met, both technical and administrative, before authorising payment for works completed.
- The AEM will be responsible for the ensuring that all variations to the originally validated site submission are dealt with and classified in accordance with IGE/TD/101. This will be carried out by liaison with the Service Provider, the original authorised designer of the scheme, and where necessary agreeing the classification of the variations. (i.e. Minor or Major - reference IGE/TD/101 and BGNC/OPS/01 Operational Procedures for Site Works Appendix 14).
- The AEM will be responsible for the overall management of the process for the connection to the upstream Gas Transporter. To ensure all SCO procedures are being followed correctly the AEM will examine and interpret Audit results relating to this activity, and ensure that the Service Providers and their operatives are following the appropriate procedures.
- Responsible for undertaking an annual Service Provider Method Statement review.
- Manage Engineering Officer(s) to ensure requirements for project management are met.
- Responsible for Project Management the responsibilities for which are documented in the BGNC/PM/01 - Project Management Procedure.
- Ensure standards of service to customers are maintained and improved.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of company HS&E procedures.
- Ensure safe construction gas transportation networks, in compliance with all company, financial, statutory, legal, engineering, and HS&E requirements.
- Ensure compliance with company quality systems, safety, standards, systems and procedures.
Knowledge: Core HS&E and gas safety; Core Management and supervisory; Specific legislative and regulatory requirements; all appropriate IGE recommendations and specific engineering standards and procedures; Fundamentals, practice and principles of Gas Network Engineering, network design and operation; pipelines and pipe networks; safe working practices and emergency procedures.
Experience: Extensive operational experience, installation of gas networks and pipe-work systems (PE and Steel) below ground and or above ground. Have experience in dealing with gas distribution and or gas pipeline contractors, NRSWA, Metering systems LP, MP and systems.
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Becki.Brunetti@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: Area Engineering Manager R9931507’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.