National HSE Support & Development Manager
- In conjunction with the UK Home and UK Field Operations, lead the delivery and implementation of the Health, Safety and Environment strategies for the business for the primary aim of achieving an incident free workplace.
- Improve personal & technical safety, wellbeing and environmental working practices. Ensure that the business is compliant with operational, contractual and legislative standards and regulations, to ensure we treat customers fairly and minimise business risk.
- Motivate and engage a team of HSE professionals (and indirectly their teams) to deliver HSE strategy and achieve all targets while ensuring the highest standards of safety, quality and customer satisfaction are delivered
- In conjunction with UK Home and UK Field Operations, lead and influence leaders to deliver and implement the Health, Safety Environment and Security strategy.
- Responsible for actively identifying opportunities; seek best practice initiatives and support managers to implement solutions which ensure all work complies with current codes, standards and legislation, in order to safeguard the wellbeing of employees, customers and their premises.
- Promote and instil safe and best practice working practices and behaviours within the business, and associated working partners, ensuring the well being of all employees, contractors and third parties.
- Prepare the business for changes in regulatory and environmental legislation and advice the necessary stakeholders on the impact of any future changes.
- Prepare the business for growth, developing the HSE operating model and appropriate assurance for operation delivery.
- Ensure effective delivery, response and corrective action relating to 2nd and 3rd line of defence activity
- Prepare the business for the implementation of regulatory and IMS system changes
- Support the delivery and operating framework to enable a flexible field workforce
- Plan and implement HSE Development activity
- Deliver behavioural change strategies and support implementation.
- Develop operating model and support contractor take on and delivery
Review & Analysis
- Identify knowledge or skills gaps and implement training solutions to meet these needs in order that each member attains and maintains the required competency levels.
- Implement and review HSE processes and practices to ensure compliance with all current regulations with regard to personal, technical and environmental criteria and drive solutions for continuous improvement.
- Implement analysis to support behavioural change.
- Development of the safety assurance improvements and review
- Take ownership of trade union liaison and development.
People & leadership
- Act as a role model and ensure the current and future capability of the safety team by pro-actively managing performance and providing ongoing coaching, feedback and support. Foster talent and ensure robust succession plans are in place to mitigate future people moves
- Accountable for working with key stakeholders across the business to plan, priorities and execute HSE strategies which are aligned with the wider organisation.
- Adhere to the Competence and Training procedures, in particular, to promote a culture where customers are treated fairly and are properly informed.
NB: The job holder will be expected to participate in a standby rota for out of normal working hours incident investigation and provide support for other health, safety and environmental incident requests
- Matrix-working Orientation
- Positive Disruption
- Change Leadership
- Self-awareness/Personal Development Orientation
- Commercial acumen
- Ability to convert strategy into meaningful delivery plans
- Strong business knowledge and understanding
- Strong HSE knowledge (risk management, internal controls, personal safety, technical standards, safety assurance and incident management); industry best practice initiatives and regulatory requirements for utility businesses
- Organisation and analytical ability
- Strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills
- Understanding of operating within a Financial Conduct Authority regulated environment to ensure fair outcomes for customers.
- Demonstrable team leadership
- Have appropriate knowledge related to field operations across BG in particular to personal safety, technical standards, safety assurance and incident management
- Prior experience of driving cultural change, with regards to Safety, within a large organisation
- Prior experience of working with dispersed and/or field based teams
- Prior experience of managing field based teams (S&R only)
- Experience of working within a highly unionised workforce
- Thorough understanding of what delivers great customer service
- Significant experience in and extensive knowledge of HSE policy, procedure, risks and regulation
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Becki.Brunetti@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: National HSE Support & Development Manager R9931443’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.