Head of HSES
The Head of HSES will lead the Health, Safety, Environment and personal Security (HSES) agenda across UK&I ES&S (British Gas) in order to maximise HSES performance, especially across the contractor workforce. You must understand and mitigate HSES risks across operational safety, safety from the system, security, construction management and environmental compliance to ensure minimum harm to people and the environment. You will drive technical compliance and conformance to minimise operational risk to customers, members of the public and property and ensure contractor on-boarding HSE arrangements are robust and 1st lines of defence are appropriate for the activity being undertaken.
Salary: Up to £90,000 (dependent on experience), £7,800 car allowance, bonus and benefits
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies, policies, standards and guidance to operational and project teams
- Provide strong leadership and proactive support to the Contractor Solutions Leadership Team; setting the direction, formulating HSES plans, and supporting asset and project leaders with their implementation
- Ensure appropriate governance of HSES and technical matters across the business including maintenance of the HSES (inc TOPs) Management System
- Develop and leverage appropriate networks for strategic purposes including maintaining and influencing relationships with key government agencies and industry bodies (e.g. Health & Safety Executive the Environment Agency, DECC)
- Keep abreast of legislative change and ensure that operating assets and projects are legally compliant and in line with industry best practice
- Lead the HSES stream in due diligence reviews for new acquisitions and vendor selection for new projects
- Develop, support and inspire the Contractor Solutions HSES community and promote best practice across UK&I
- Ensure our Saftey Assurance Engineers / 1st line of defense is robust and fit for purpose
Experience of HSES in an organisations with a predominately a contractor workforce ideally construction, engineering rather than office.
Experience of downstream high volume operations – ideally residential and fast moving
Ability to operate and communicate at multiple levels “director to front line”
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and relationship management skills. Able to inspire and lead others without line management authority.
- Extensive knowledge of HSES systems, operational technical procedures, practices and legislation.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret legislative requirements and advice/influence accordingly.
Competitive salary and benefits.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Becki.Brunetti@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: Head of HSES R9931526’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.