Finance Analyst - Merchant Power
The role sits with the Finance Partner Team for Merchant Power. Merchant Power is part of the DE&P Business Unit which was established in 2016 with the aim of creating a material new international business to deliver distributed energy solutions for businesses and other large energy users. The Merchant Power Business currently operates a fleet of OCGTs in the UK and has in flight capital projects totalling £180m to add to the existing portfolio. These Projects include a CCGT, Gas reciprocating engines and a battery storage asset in the UK all focussed on the UK flexibility markets. Merchant Power has ambitious plans for further expansion both in the UK and internationally.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Finance Partner Team of this growing business. The role will enable the incumbent to develop a strong understanding of the value drivers for flexible power assets with the opportunity to support the financial planning and performance reporting processes.
The Job Role
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders in the business;
- Support the Director and Finance Partner by providing robust, thoughtful and highly analytical finance and strategic support to the businesses to drive improvements in financial performance;
- Act as part of the first line of defence in the identification and management of risks
- Develop deep understanding of key drivers of valuation of Thermal Plant
- Draw on FP&A forecasts and reports, FC actual and judgements, external data and experience to articulate the relationship between drivers, interventions and strategy on the one hand and on financial and operational metrics on the other;
- Carry out non-standard / bespoke analysis to support business decision making;
- Identify performance improvement interventions and design means of implementing associated changes. Facilitate relevant parts of the business to implement changes;
- Run long term thermal valuation tool to support investment decisions and impairment analysis;
- Production of financial analysis, including KFIs to support investment decisions;
- Update economics for approved investments in the construction phase for use in forecasts;
- Finance support for route to market decisions for Battery Storage and Gas Peaker projects currently under construction;
- Production of finance papers required to support the capacity market process;
- Provide cover for Peaking Plant Finance Manager.
- Accounting qualification required (ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, ICAS, or equivalent);
- Previous commercial and analytical finance experience;
- Track record of building economic and financial models; presenting ideas to business leaders; creating robust forecasting and budgeting as well as underpinning materials prepared with sound financial accounting and planning;
- Industry related experience within the finance function;
- Experience in business finance and investment appraisal preferred;
- Ability to pro-actively develop positive and highly effective working relationships, influencing management on delivery and relevant strategy;
- A demonstrated ability in commercial analysis and evaluation, with strong commercial acumen to support delivery of business goals;
- Strong ability to summarise complex matters and communicate effectively to influence a range of audiences;
- Capable of managing multiple tasks in a high-pressure environment and engage resource across the business and finance to deliver work to tight deadlines;
- Ability to manage and interpret large, complex data sets.
Salary - Competitive plus benefits
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Chris.Powell@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: Finance Analyst - Merchant Power R9933953’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com