Forecasting Operations Analyst
Our vision is to harness the power of emerging technologies to deliver a World Class Forecasting Service for our customers
Our weather and gas and power demand forecasts are used to inform the hedging and optimisation decisions that allow the costs of energy purchasing to be minimised. It is vital that our trading, balancing, portfolio management, and finance teams receive the forecasts in an accurate and timely manner in order to help us maintain a competitive commercial position.
This is a key role requiring cross-business liaison, building relationships with key stakeholders. You will be responsible for the operational requirements of our forecasting activities and ensuring the availability and accuracy of our data. You will also be responsible for identifying improvements and their successful implementation into the team and our processes. From time to time you will be involved in or leading the (data intensive) projects which are critical for our business
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responsibility for our day to day forecasting operations related to UK Gas, Power and weather forecast.
- Work closely with demand modelling team and other colleagues in wider forecasting team
- Leverage emerging technologies to enhance the efficiency of our processes and accuracy of forecasts, such as Smart data and Hadoop
- Improve our reporting capability in PowerBI to ensure we can provide accurate and timely information on our KPIs to our stakeholders
- Ensure that there is a consistency and coherence to the data and underlying assumptions employed in our forecasts and analysis
- Deliver smart data strategy for demand forecasting by leveraging emerging technologies such as R, PowerBI etc to access and analyse smart meter data for day to day forecasting
- Developing our TRIAD warnings service and working with our BGB and distributed energy colleagues to leverage value from this capability
Participation in an out-of-hours support rota could be required for the role. An additional allowance is paid for this
- Strong academic or equivalent background in a numerical discipline
- Experience in computer languages such as SAS, Python, R is desirable
- Experience in the energy industry in a forecasting or similar analytical role preferred
- Highly numerate with strong analytical skills
- Proficient in Excel and VBA
- Knowledge of at-least one of the data analytical languages such as SQL/SAS/R
- Knowledge of databases, SQL and database design
- Excellent mathematical and statistical modelling skills
- Ability to manipulate large volumes of data and complex spreadsheets and analyse/present results (includes presenting to a non-technical audience)
British Gas, part of the Centrica Group, supplies gas and electricity to UK residential and business customers, provides central heating and gas appliance installation and maintenance and low-carbon and energy efficient products and services.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Simon.Mansfield@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: Forecasting Operations Analyst R9935648’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.