Senior Statutory Financial Accountant
- Agree a timetable with key stakeholders in the statutory accounts process, including external auditors, E&P Accounting teams, Group Tax team, and Centrica Secretariat;
- Prepare & review the statutory accounts at key points in the process to ensure they are at the required standard, providing regular status reports to Centrica Group in order to ensure that all statutory reporting requirements are discharged on time;
- Perform a roll forward of the statutory accounts for the next financial year, ensuring that the system is set up correctly & that all statutory accounts adjustments are reflected back into the underlying accounting systems, in order to minimise the number of manual adjustments;
- Identify and progress process improvements in relation to the Statutory accounting process;
- Provide financial accounting support to Financial Controller;
- Be the first point of contact for external Auditors, responding to queries and providing evidence through the half year & year-end close, as well as liaising on technical accounting issues;
- Act as the primary focal point for ad-hoc Technical Accounting issues arising in Morecambe & North Sea region, agreeing accounting treatment with Group Technical team and driving issues through to resolution;
- Advise the business on significant IFRS & GAAP accounting transactions (incl. acquisitions, disposals, reorganisations), ensuring that these are accurately reflected in the Centrica accounting systems;
- Work closely with the tax team, including in the preparation of the yearly tax returns;
- Provision of financial advice and support in the set-up of the new JVCo & Fundco;
- Other ad-hoc support to Morecambe & North Sea region as required.
- Able to prepare and review a set of statutory accounts, and to rigorously prove their integrity;
- A qualified financial accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent) with significant financial accounting and reporting experience, preferably in external audit.
- Good Excel and Word skills. Experience of One Source software and financial accounting systems (SAP and BPC) is an advantage, but not essential;
- Experience of dealing with external auditors and managing their questions and requests to close out;
- Excellent understanding and application of IFRS accounting standards, and also UK GAAP;
- Experience of working in an E&P business is advantageous but not essential;
- A proactive, can-do approach - able to prioritise and solve problems as they arise;
- A completer/finisher -someone who is capable of seeing a process through from start to finish, with the necessary determination to complete outstanding tasks;
- Rigorous, leads best practice, with a keen focus on delivery, accuracy and timeliness;
- A bright, articulate and quick learner who is able to identify, analyse and communicate complex issues in simple terms;
- Proactive, results oriented, collaborative and adaptable;
- Seeks simplicity, efficiency and continuous improvement;
- Committed to an incident free workplace;
- Demonstrate own belief in and support for HSEQ policies, procedures and standards
- Follow the safety & environmental policies, guidelines and procedures as directed by the business unit. Contribute to ensuring HSEQ objectives and targets are met.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email Chris.Powell@britishgas.co.uk typing ‘Update required: Senior Statutory Financial Accountant R9934245’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.