Product Control Analyst – West Power
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
This position will be located in Houston, TX as part of the North American Product Control team, concentrating on the West Power markets.
Reporting to the Manager, West Power Product Control, the Analyst will provide timely valuation, risk metrics, and controls oversight to management and other stakeholders.
At Direct Energy, the company operates with gas and electricity commodities in Houston, Iselin and Calgary.
- Degree in Mathematics, Finance, Accounting or Economics
- 2-5 years of professional experience in the energy commodity industry preferred.
- Knowledge of commodity settlements preferred
- Highly developed mathematical and computer skills, particularly using Excel.
- Possess the attention to detail required for consistent accuracy combined with the intellectual curiosity and investigative analysis skills to seek answers to complex problems.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Innovative thinker who is team player, proactive, self-motivated, and who can see the bigger picture.
- Ability to build and maintain professional internal working relationships
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Produce aggregate daily risk management reports; including profit and loss, open positions, statistical risk measurements, and compliance against risk policies.
- Have working knowledge of the ERCOT, CAISO, AESO, and IESO power markets
- Provide daily analysis and explanation of market changes and results on a timely basis
- Integrate multiple risk systems and data into a report
- Understand and steward to Direct Energy's internal control framework by understanding the current risks and controls enacted within the Risk Management function
- Learn the transaction life cycle from inception until settlement and supporting the reconciliation of profit and loss across time
- Assist in developing new reporting as the business evolves and the group adapts to the needs of stakeholders.
- Develop models for data aggregation and automation in Excel using VBA and SQL are pluses
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in the organization including the Risk Management, commercial personnel, Finance, Legal, and Internal Audit.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability