Manager Government Relations
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
Reporting to the Vice-President Government and Regulatory Affairs Canada, the Manager Government Relations will be the primary point of contact for government members and will represent the Company to Federal and Provincial governments across Canada, with primary focus on the Government of Alberta (GoA). The Manager Government Relations will provide balanced and effective advocacy in the interest of the Company and of our Customers. The Manager Government Relations is a key figure in advancing and upholding the reputation of the Company with key decision-makers and policy influencers, and will act at all times in accordance with the Company’s values.
- University Degree
- Minimum of five years’ experience in government or government-related field.
- Familiarity with government structure, processes and operation.
- Effective advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills.
- Confidence in public speaking in small and large group settings.
- Ability to visualize the long game.
- Comfortable with setbacks, adversity and improvisation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to travel
- Develop and maintain effective relationships within and across all political parties and leverage those relationships to positively position the Company within the Alberta environment.
- Continually and effectively promote the reputation of the Company to governments across Canada as required.
- Create and capture opportunities to advance market development and policies in support of matters of interest and value to the Company and our customers.
- Work with and across internal Company stakeholders to understand the implications of government energy and consumer policy.
- Actively engage appropriate internal and external resources to provide thoughtful input on policy development, proactively and as requested.
- Analyze and summarize government policy developments and announcements, and identify and communicate changes of key importance to the Company and our customers.
- Develop relationships and networks so as to be in a position to anticipate pending policy changes or announcements.
- Monitor key legislative committees within the GoA.
- Liaise with and direct the activities of any external government relations resources.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text