Sr. Gas Trader
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, economics, business, finance or other relevant degree
- Knowledge of gas markets gas in the Mid-Continent (Midwest) Region
- Experience on pipelines and familiarity with the producers, LDCs and various markets participating serving Chicago is preferred
- 5 years minimum natural gas trading experience including:
- Knowledge of physical flows and locational trading is required.
- Understanding of financial trading is a requirement.
- Management of storage and transportation assets across this region.
- Knowledge of the Mic-Continent (Midwest) Region of United States transportation grid. Managing and flowing gas transportation contracts
- Working with utilities, gas producers, and C&I markets
- Superior problem solving and analysis skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
The Senior Gas Trader role is a member of the NAB Mid-Continent Region Team. This role will be responsible for the management of the forward gas trading positons, primarily related to the Mid-Continent (Midwest) region, and optimization strategies related to Wholesale AMAs and storage management in this region. This role will report to the Manager of Mid-Continent Operations. This role will oversee pricing for Retail C&I, Origination and Optimization in support of both wholesale trading and retail markets within the assign region. Roles and Responsibilities
- Position is primarily responsible for the development of strategy, execution and management of long-term physical and financial transactions. Position to play a major role in trading and optimizing around natural gas assets.
- Effectively manage retail supply and load swing risk.
- Effectively manage and create value from assets.
- Develop and maintain relationships with storage, pipelines, customers and trade partners, in order to optimize our transport and storage and to obtain assets when opportunities exist.
- Support C&I and retail sales teams thru a thorough understanding of market fundamentals.
- Collaborate with Sales and Strategy on market approach and issue resolution
- Collaborate with Sales to process for pricing, load balancing and position management
- Explore wholesale opportunities in adjacent regions to provide alternate paths of transportation within the region
- P&L reporting and reconciliation responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to risk management practices and processes
- Observe all DE policies
- Develop commercial skills & leadership behaviors and exhibit DE core values and behaviors Skills and Competencies
- Critical Thinking/Creative Thinking: Identify main issues, problems & opportunities; assess a range of situations & solutions, using analysis to draw appropriate conclusions and judgments.
- Collaboration/Influencing: applies range of appropriate behaviors and influencing styles to gain the support, trust, and credibility of both internal and external sales clients and partners to effectively and efficiently achieve stated business objectives.
- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions;
- Thinks and talks strategy: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Multitasking: Ability to trade, manage storage and pipes, as well as seek out new opportunities across multiple regions in a short time span on a daily basis.
- Team Player: Blends well with immediate team members as well as stakeholders across the company. Treats people with courtesy and respect. Engaged in discussions and willingness to challenge respectfully. Takes pride and responsibility in your job and success of our team.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability