Commercial Director - Distributed Energy
Centrica plc (LSE:CNA) is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. It operates in North America as Direct Energy which provides commercial energy solutions to over 240,000 large energy customers in states with deregulated energy markets. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
Centrica’s new international Distributed Energy & Power (DE&P) business has been established to deliver distributed energy solutions for large energy users as part of a more flexible energy landscape.
We expect to invest £700 million (~$1 billion) into the DE&P business by 2020. Combined, our UK and US businesses already have over 1,000 customers across 3,700 sites.
The Commercial Director is a senior member of the North American Leadership team for Centrica DE&P. Responsible for creating the entire commercial capability and execution for DE&P in North America.
Reporting directly to the DE&P Head of North America this role is expected to work broadly and collaboratively across Centrica to achieve an exciting and innovative growth agenda to deliver distributed energy solutions for large energy users.
The Head of Commercial is responsible for the underpinnings of the financial performance of DE&P North America and for optimizing the capture of customer value. The leader will provide feedback, guidance and continuous evolution of our approaches, propositions and deal structuring in pursuit of growth. This leadership role is responsible for the Commercial Modeling, Structuring and Financing teams;
- Commercial Modeling is the central capability to allow DE&P to offer bespoke and innovative distributed energy solutions to large energy users. This includes rapidly evolving business-wide advanced ability to provide modeling, scenario analysis and impact analysis of usage and spend for energy and energy related costs on a customer and project basis.
- Commercial Structuring includes specific deal and transaction structuring, and overall commercial policies and best practices. Core to this is creation, negotiation and execution of offers and contracts (in conjunction with Legal) with end use customers and third party resellers in a value creative and innovative manner.
- Commercial Financing includes working with third party banks, lenders and other debt or equity sources to find methods of financing customer projects (or portfolios of projects), working closely with internal teams including global corporate development, finance, tax and treasury.
The Commercial Director will offer critical partnership to Sales, Product Development, Delivery and Customer Success functions & leaders. In addition, the Commercial Director will work closely with wholesale, supply & trading, and other internal teams to ensure appropriate and optimal deal structuring and project financials. In addition, will work as required with external experts and third party partners on technical accounting, investment banking and energy incentives to ensure DE&P is reviewing and delivering innovative structures for capital projects.
- University degree (business, economics, engineering preferred)
- MBA or financial equivalent preferred
- 10-15 years commercial and/or financial experience preferred
- 5-10 years leadership experience preferred
- Strong B2B transactional experience including complex deal structuring and negotiation
- Excellent executive / customer presentation skills
- Proven track record of developing finance or commercial teams
- Knowledge of North American natural gas and power markets
- Knowledge of financial markets, instruments, structures and sources
- Sound understanding of both commodity and non-commodity based energy products
- Strong financial and business analysis skills
- Strategic thinking and ability to identify market potential for significant business growth
- Quick study; capable of grasping the structure & intricacies of the energy business & markets
- Collaborative senior leader capable of building close working relationships with peer groups
- Deep experience working in a large/global company with matrix structure/relationships
- Resourcefulness and ability to work with limited supervision
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Collaborate with North American DE&P Leadership Team to set and achieve profit targets
- Own Commercial Modeling, Structuring and Financing
- Drive commercial capability and delivery for project solutions in North America
- Partner with other Centrica businesses (crucially Direct Energy Business) in related territories to build the Commercial Modeling capability
- Develop and execute optimal pricing and structures for analytics solutions
- Design and execute modeling and structuring capability for project solutions
- Create and manage third party partners that can provide finance in capital projects
- Provide commercial underpinnings and leadership of transactions with vendors and customers, at a project and ongoing relationship basis
- Negotiate and execute a variety of complex contractual arrangements for projects
- Critical and creative thinker who can identify main issues, problems & opportunities; assess a range of situations & solutions and use analysis to draw appropriate conclusions and judgments.
- Strong business acumen with a strategic mindset and ability to execute. Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible visions of possibilities; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Financial reasoning and commercial analytical skills; ability to distill numerical complexity into sound commercial plans and processes. Convey options and decisions to non-finance / non-commercial partners.
- Collaborate and Influence: Applies range of appropriate behaviors and influencing styles to gain the support, trust, and credibility of both internal and external sales clients and partners to effectively and efficiently achieve stated business objectives.
- Ability to make good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions;
- Effective Leader: Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; creates a common mindset, or common challenge; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team
- Develops Talent. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; champions development opportunities.