Paralegal, Corporate Services (Intellectual Property)
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
The Corporate Services Paralegal will assist the Corporate Services Legal Team on a wide variety of issues and matters relating to corporate law, governance, entity maintenance and intellectual property. As part of a team responsible for maintaining a diverse portfolio of North American entities and intellectual property, the Corporate Services Paralegal will play a key role in providing corporate informational assistance to various stakeholders across the business.
- Highly reliable, motivated, and organized individual.
- Must be solutions-oriented and have a track record that demonstrates excellent judgment
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced open-office environment.
- Superior listener who is persuasive, poised and articulate.
- Business maturity coupled with the highest integrity.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and collaboratively with legal department support staff and attorneys.
- Track and support team budgeting efforts.
- Ability to communicate tactfully with internal management and staff at all levels.
- Ability to take direction and follow through.
- Must be willing to take initiative.
- Assist legal counsel on wide-ranging corporate law, intellectual property, governance and entity maintenance issues.
- Prepare corporate resolutions, Secretary’s Certificates and other documents.
- Prepare agendas, organize presentations, draft minutes and perform other Corporate Secretary functions for Board and/or Committee meetings.
- Coordinate trademark management lifecycle (clearance, registration, policing, renewal, etc.) with business contacts, legal team members and outside counsel.
- Assist in the development and delivery of presentations, training programs, and materials for internal teams regarding corporate governance principles and general corporate and intellectual property legal advice.
- Assist in administering the Corporate Services mailbox providing timely and accurate corporate-related information to various stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Maintain minute book records for portfolio of North American subsidiaries.
- Maintain a broad intellectual property portfolio of trademarks, copyrights, domain names, licenses and technology innovations.
- As requested, assist with M&A activities such as facilitating due diligence and post-close record integration.
- Assist with the implementation and project management of entity rationalization strategy for efficient, streamlined operations.
- Maintain a corporate entity management database and update as needed.
- Set daily priorities for workload, and ensure a work product consistent with company objectives and practices.
- Manage workload independently and with limited immediate supervision.
- Assist with outside counsel and vendor billing matters.
- Develop and manage legal team’s collaborative spaces on SharePoint.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures, with particular focus on efficiency and improvement of workflow.
- Coordinate activities and provide administrative and research support for large projects such as corporate restructuring.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability