Regulated Portfolio Manager - Regulated Power
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
The successful candidate is expected to be an expert in the Alberta power market, with deep knowledge of the Alberta regulatory framework. This role will sit on the Direct Energy trading floor and will be a member of the Direct Energy Regulated Services Commercial Management team.
- Experience with trading in an organized energy market
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to manage people
- Understanding of electric markets and power portfolio management
- Ability to analyze and execute financial transactions in the Alberta power market
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to serve as a key witness in a regulatory hearing
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills; results oriented; creative; and innovative
- Candidate must be a team player and foster an inclusive work environment; and respect all aspects of diversity
- Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices
Masters in a quantitative discipline such as Finance, Physics, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science combined with at least 5-10 years of progressive industry experience in energy markets.
- Responsible for the day to day operations and reporting of the regulated power business, including managing the Regulated Power Analyst and a back-up trader
- Oversee the forecasting process for the Alberta Regulated customer base, approving the final forecast, and providing any necessary variance explanations
- Responsible for determining volume requirements and procuring power in the forward market, according to the constraints and requirements established in the Energy Price Setting Plan
- Work with other members of the trade group to develop short and long term analysis and strategies that contemplate market supply and demand, in support of the Alberta Regulated business
- Monitor weather, load, price behavior, transmission constraints/outages, and generation outages to identify risks to the company position and take appropriate actions to mitigate portfolio risk
- Key participant in the Energy Price Setting Plan process involved in planning and implementing (including testifying/negotiation) new Energy Price Setting Plans
- Responsible for tracking and reporting margin and providing any necessary variance explanations
- Act as a Direct Energy representative in any consultative processes that impacts the Alberta Regulated business, for example the RRO Review or the Capacity Market Design discussions
- Directly responsible for the Alberta Regulated P&L target
- Responsible for operating within Direct Energy’s policies and procedures, risk management and corporate guidelines
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text