Manager Margin Management
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
The Portfolio Manager's primary responsibility is to manage the Financial Gross Margin forecast for the Canadian Commercial portfolios. This individual will be responsible for the Annual financial forecast ("Operating Plan"), the corresponding four quarterly updates ("Latest Estimates") and monthly rolling forecasts; including input on the Monthly Business Review for Senior Executives and Management.
This individual will work very closely with the Retail Energy Gross Margin Accounting and Settlement teams as well as the Supply and Trading, Load Forecasting and Risk groups located in Calgary, AB and Houston, TX.
Other responsibilities include operational analysis, and other ad hoc financial analysis for Direct Energy Residential team. It is expected that this individual will gain in depth knowledge of the Canadian Gas and Power portfolios. The position requires strong data and analytics experience, strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to meet stringent and regular deadlines
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Mathematics or Engineering MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
• At least 5+ years experience across financial planning and analysis, pricing and forecasting disciplines with analytical responsibility
• Finance and accounting experience beneficial
• Exceptional analytical skills with strong commercial acumen
• Able to build relationships and influence peers in various retail and wholesale groups to deliver results
• Have ability to effectively communicate, both written and oral, across business units and geographies
• Must be a creative thinker and have strong investigative analysis skills
• Able to set and manage multiple priorities, work well under pressure, and meet tight deadlines when necessary
• Strong understanding of financial concepts
• Effectively manage change
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Self-motivated with the ability to quickly learn a complex large markets
• Detail oriented and able to produce accurate work products
• Expert in MS Excel; VBA coding and SQL experience is a plus
• Extensive knowledge and experience with retail power markets
• General knowledge of both retail natural gas and electricity markets a plus.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to process information from a variety of sources, understand the key insights, and apply that information daily.
• Responsible for Gross Margin Forecasts for Canadian Commercial portfolios.
• Compile and update cumulative reporting files, monthly P&L statements, and actual billing report summaries, gas imbalance accounting and calculate monthly Gross Margin accruals.
• Work closely with Load Forecasting and Risk (including Risk systems) to gather Portfolio Management Data to produce forecasts
• Engage with Supply and Trading and Commercial teams to validate margin forecasts and ensure deep understanding of forecasts
• Coordinate and communicate across business functions gross margin results.
• Prepare variance explanations to Plan, latest estimates, and prior year for corporate, upper management and audit teams.
• Assist in preparation of audit documents required by the external auditors, and interact with internal and external auditors.
• Monthly Balance Sheet reconciliations.
• Work closely with Settlements Group, Load Forecasting, Portfolio Management, Planning and other teams across the business to ensure in depth understanding of P&L movement
• Adhoc reporting for upper management and corporate.
• Work with Information Systems to help increase efficiencies in how Finance reports business results.
• Work actively to build and implement a strong controls environment and process with the Gross Margin function.
• Analyze actual customer and financial data and explain variances, identify trends, and call attention to operational issues that need to be addressed to improve performance.
• Assists in preparation of revised current year forecast to update Senior Management on projected year-end results & the impact on future performance.
• Responds to DE Corporate and Business Unit requests for ad-hoc financial forecast
Travel within North America is required.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability