Head of Start Up Labs, NA
- To design and manage multiple incubator programmes - predominantly US focussed.
- To set up and take ownership for the Ignite investment portfolio in the US.
- University degree required
- MBA or equivalent experience desired
- Experience of working with lean start-ups and small businesses
- Experience in different approaches to innovations, tools and techniques
- Experience of different incubator and accelerator programs is preferred
- Experience of investment or commercial deal making
- Understanding of the energy sector and Centrica’s business units
Incubator Programme Management
- Responsible for all global incubator activity including leading the selection of partners and service providers, enterprises, and managing between 1-3 incubator cohorts per annum.
- Review and recommend topics suited to incubator programmes based on business areas and Centrica’s objectives.
- Design and execute incubators and supervise associated people support from within Centrica.
- Build relationships and partner with other incubators where appropriate, and then supervise the progress of enterprises.
- Build relationships with the start-up ecosystem in North America to source enterprises for incubator cohorts.
- Help to support accelerators and other activities as appropriate.
Seed Investment Portfolio Management
- Chief advocate of portfolio companies within Centrica.
- Ownership of setting up a seed investment portfolio in the US, ensuring all legal requirements and the necessary processes are in place.
- Responsible for finding, helping to develop and making (with the support of the ventures team) seed investment (<$600,000), and accountable for the overall performance of the portfolio.
- Educate employees and gain buy in from the Businesses to ensure the enterprises have the support internally they need to grow and succeed.
- In time recruit, manage and lead a small team comprising of an Investment Manager and Operation Managers. Undertake performance management, succession planning and personal development activities.
- 'Entrepreneurial spirit', a self-starter who is open minded, experimental, keen to develop ideas and who is not afraid to fail.
- Ability to prioritise, manage complexity effectively and provide clear leadership.
- Ability to influence, motivate and inspire the wider organisation at all levels and play a mentoring role where required for senior management.
- Excellent relationship management skills, able to tactfully engage and gain buy-in from the Businesses. Credible in the internal and external market.
- Poise and presence, able to hold their own in meetings and with senior stakeholders and entrepreneurs.
- Strong commercial and financial acumen.
- Experience understanding where/how technology or new business models can address key challenges in the business whilst having the ability to balance strategic imperative with financial returns.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a remote team.