Technical Accounting Manager
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
The role helps deliver a center of excellence on all technical accounting matters for the relevant business unit(s), advising senior management, Group Technical Accounting and divisional finance teams globally on accounting issues and developments. The role presents a significant opportunity for developing a pro-active and pragmatic approach to technical accounting matters. In addition the Technical Accountant Manager is responsible for helping deliver technical accounting advice in relation to ad hoc projects such as, advising Business Development on transactions and other related projects where specialist accounting knowledge and expertise is required.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant (ACA, FCA, CA) with significant complex IFRS exposure or alternatively a manager in a Big 4 practice looking to step into the Energy sector. We will also consider a qualified CPA with significant GAAP experience in the energy sector. Detailed understanding of complex commercial and accounting issues and excellent knowledge and understanding of IFRS and/or GAAP including IAS 39/ASC 815 is preferred. Experience of Group consolidations and large plc interim and year-end reporting coupled with resolution of complex technical accounting issues will also be essential.
Qualified Chartered Accountant (ACA/FCA/CA) or CPA equivalent.
• Advice to businesses on IFRS accounting issues and developments including, treatment of high value or complex items such as acquisition accounting, impairments, lease accounting, revenue recognition, derivative accounting assessments, new business contracts and reorganizations.
• Assist Group Technical in managing the process for implementing new standards/policies in the Business Units (BU).
• Technical training – IFRS updates for specific BU sites and ad hoc IFRS training as required.
• Review annual report, preliminary statement and half year statement for technical compliance on behalf of BU Financial Directors.
• Assist in the preparation of issues logs and judgment papers for technical compliance (including in a review capacity).
• Liaison with external auditors on technical accounting issues.
• External Financial and Regulatory Reporting.
• Trusted Advisor.
• Conveying Complex Ideas.
• Feedback and Resilience.
• Critical Thinking
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text