Technology Manager - Distributed Generation
This role will report into the Head of Technology Development and will be responsible for sourcing and managing a pipeline of new and emerging technology opportunities for the DE&P business in the areas of Energy Storage and Distributed Generation (Fuel Cells, Solar PV, CHP and others).
The role will work with the wider Technology and Product Development (T&PD) team as well as global strategy team (Growth & Development - G&D) and commercial (Marketing & Propositions – M&P) teams to triage technology opportunities and manage selected technologies and technology companies through a technology commercialization process, which could involve trials, customer pilots, business deployment, strategic partnerships, investment or M&A activity.
This individual will be an important contributor to the TD team and will have a key role in developing world class technology capability for the DE&P business.
- An entrepreneurial thought leader with knowledge, experience and drive to harness the latest in digital technology and apply it to create a world class customer experience in a fast moving energy market
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with technical, IT, commercial and management teams to enable delivery of industry leading solutions
- Commercial acumen so as to understand the costs and benefit implications of technology and decisions
- Leadership of high performing project, cross-functional and virtual teams
- Proven ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships across multiple business interfaces
- Budget management and the development/analysis of management information
- Minimum 2 years in technology management or product development/management or equivalent experience; ideally 5+ years
- Proven ability to complete projects and achieve results in an ambiguous work environment.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to build consensus within project teams and across the wider business organization.
- Extensive energy industry network including technology organizations, academic institutions, trade bodies, vendors and supply chain
- A solid understanding of distributed energy technologies including, CHP, diesel generators, gas generators, solar, battery storage and fuel cells
- A good understanding of Information Technologies as well as Operational Technologies including energy and or operational analytics
- Demonstrable knowledge of US energy market and regulatory trends. Experience in wholesale markets and demand response a plus
- B2B Technology start-up experience a plus
- Require advanced degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D. or equivalent) in computer science, mathematics, or engineering
- MBA preferred but not required
- Scan & scout the global market for new and emerging commercial and industrial behind-the-meter Energy Storage and Generation (Fuel Cells, Solar PV, CHP and others) in line with the Technology Development strategy and the DE&P Growth & Development strategy
- Develop and manage the technology commercialization process including, customer pilots, technology evaluation and due diligence and business deployment
- For prioritized technologies, support the Product Development team effort to develop customer products and solutions
- Coordinate and align with UK counterparts focused on EU technologies/companies/pilots
- Evaluate and triage opportunities in order to build a pipeline of new technology with a potential to add value through market leading capability or attractive customer propositions
- Manage relationships with technology companies throughout the technology development process from prospect all the way through to business implementation
- Manage technology commercialization projects, including, business case development, resource, budgets, IT support, out-sourcing
- Support M&A team in due diligence phase of a deal
- Knowledge share/transfer of best practice across active DE&P country territories
- Apply Centrica values in all day-to-day activities