Platform Engineering Manager
Platform Engineering Manager
Cambridge (with occasional travel to London)
Salary; Competitive + bonus & excellent benefits
Connected Home is a product division of Centrica responsible for developing new ways to help customers engage with their energy consumption. The first product, Hive Active Heating, an IoT-based remote management app for central heating schedules, launched in late 2013 and went on to win many industry awards for innovation and customer experience.
The Hive product is already operating at significant scale and our user base and functional breadth is accelerating quickly!
As a platform engineering manager you'll be working on distributed IoT problems from apps to cloud to in-home devices, so you'll need an understanding of the full technology stack from mobile apps through application code, cloud services, messaging, embedded java and the kernel.
What will you to doing?;
- You’ll enjoy leading and inspiring a team of skilled engineers to develop the next generation of our infrastructure on our AWS based platform
- You'll partner with product management, programme management and core tooling to deliver a vision for your components which you then continuously deliver into production
- You'll balance the need to keep things running with the making time to address technical debt and long term projects
- You'll work with engineers to find projects which exploit their skills and work style, ensuring their development needs are met
- Assess performance frequently and deal promptly with under-performance whilst recognising and promoting excellence
- Rolling up your sleeves and help fix/tune/debug the code alongside your team, when needed for all systems through to production
- Using you’re sound knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Code well in at least one language (even if it is not one that we use)
To be brilliant in this role you will have/be;
- Degree level or equivalent, ideally in a subject containing a significant software development component, alternatively a depth of relevant and demonstrable experience
- Working knowledge of common Amazon Web Services (such as EC2, S3, CloudFormation, AWS Lambda, RDS, SNS).
- Sound knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Previous experience managing or leading a technical delivery team using agile delivery practices TDD, BDD and continuous delivery
- Equivalent industry experience of working in a face paced and high scale innovative technical environment
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are.
We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing Platform Engineering Manager R9926869 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.