Manager, Product Control
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
- Undergrad or Graduate degree with a major in Finance, Accounting, or Economics
- 5+ years professional experience in the energy commodity industry
- CPA or CA designation is an asset, but not required
- Highly developed mathematical and computer skills, particularly using MS Excel
- Detailed knowledge of wholesale and retail energy markets plus strong communication skills
- Solid analytical and technical skill set
- Versatile to pick up new responsibilities and adaptive to ongoing changes
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Ability to build and maintain professional internal working relationships
- Responsible for managing a team that reports daily P&L/Positions for Direct Energy’s North American Gas and Power business within Canada and the United States. This role is also responsible for the oversight of necessary tasks and processes designed to facilitate the production of the net margin under contract for Direct Energy as well as the month end accrual. Any concerns regarding the control framework and managing processes within the framework that ensures accurate month end estimates should be reviewed and corrected by this role and if necessary, raised to the Director of Product Control.
- Responsible for taking the initiative to developing subject matter expertise in middle office.
- Improve communication channels and coordination of information between Front Office, Scheduling, Commodity Accounting, and Internal Audit
- Facilitate the process to ensure all outstanding issues each day are resolved quickly
- Supervise the development of reporting metrics as the business evolves and the group adapts to the needs of stakeholders
- Responsible for maintenance of the ETRM systems utilized to support the Gas and Power trading business
- Produce daily aggregate reporting that includes P&L, Open Positions, and Compliance against Risk Policies
- Understand and steward the Direct Energy internal control framework by recognizing current risks and controls enacted within this function
- Work with Director to improve any departmental procedures that are ineffective
- Understand the transaction life cycle from inception until settlement and support the reconciliation of P&L from front to back
- Support the development of analysts through imparting commercial and institutional knowledge of the Power and Gas markets
- Support the actualization process performed by Commodity Accounting
- Work with internal and external auditors, as well as support provided to the audit process
- Evaluate and implement process/system changes - working with IT and other stakeholders
- Ad hoc projects as required by the Front Office and Director of Product Control
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability