Property Manager, North America
Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
The Property Manager leads a team of all facilities professionals responsible for all of Facilities Management (FM) activities necessary to meet the workspace needs of all of Centrica’s north American business units, operations, and functions. As a key member of the NA REFM leadership team, the Property Manager plays a critical role in realizing the function’s mission by translating strategic direction into tactical operating and project plans and acquiring, developing, deploying, and redeploying resources as necessary to achieve REFM, NA executes those plans. The Property Manager is responsible for the tactical delivery of FM services for the portfolio (71+ locations, 1.1M square feet of office and/or industrial space, and less than US $10.0M in annual operating costs.
- Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs and consistently act in line with those values regardless of circumstances or consequences.
- Widely trusted and able to present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner while quick to admit mistakes and accept responsibility for sub-optimal outcomes.
- Organized and focused with a reputation for timely decision making, effective priority setting, accurate reporting, and strong time management skills.
- Effective at managing and measuring the work of direct and indirect reports (ie, setting objectives and measures; assigning responsibility for tasks and decisions; monitoring process, progress and results, and; designing feedback loops)
- Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and important tasks and decisions broadly sharing both responsibility and accountability with direct and indirect reports and demonstrating a tendency to trust people to perform
- Steadfastly pushes self and others for results typically seizing more opportunities than others and rarely giving up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks
- Intermediate negotiating abilities; able to negotiate in moderately difficult
- situations with both internal and external groups; a basic knowledge of – the ability to use - situational tactics, developing trust and rapport, and a good sense of timing.
- Able to deal comfortably with - and communicate with - senior management with minimal support;
- Intermediate written and verbal communicator able to articulate semi-complex concepts in an accurate and concise manner using the appropriate medium and audience.
- Intermediate presentation skills; able to develop clear and concise presentation skills with moderate support;
- Strong knowledge of project management concepts, tools, and processes
- Intermediate conflict management abilities who can be counted upon to step up to moderate conflicts, read situations quickly, listen intently, settle disputes equitably, and find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
- Able to identify talent and accurately project what people are likely to do across a variety of situations.
- Genuinely interested in the work and non-work lives of direct reports while being approachable and available for listening to personal problems; must be able to monitor workloads and
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of NA REFM’s “Customers” (Occupants, Stakeholders, and Business Partners) always acting with their best interests in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Treats direct reports equitably and fairly without having a hidden agenda or demonstrating preferential treatment.
- Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside of the organization – while building appropriate rapport and using diplomacy and tact in order to diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably
- Deliver – through others – all tactical FM operational activities across an assigned portfolio of properties ensuring that FM departmental processes, procedures, and policies are leveraged and complied with, and intervening as necessary to ensure operational excellence and achieve performance targets at the location and sub portfolio levels in the areas of safety, compliance, sustainability, occupant satisfaction, and cost efficiency.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with occupants and stakeholders at the location and sub portfolio levels in order to monitor and respond to opportunities to enhance portfolio performance or mitigate risk.
- Select, supervise, and support on-site FM personnel where applicable
- Actively administer contracts (directly) and subcontracts (indirectly) to continuously enhance service levels while eliminating unnecessary cost and risk; effectively cascade targets into front-line manager annual goals and objectives and key vendor/contractor contracts.
- Drive portfolio safety & compliance performance of the FM departments by monitoring performance through formal and informal channels and taking appropriate action to address deficiencies without hurting other performance dimensions.
- Drive Occupant Satisfaction at the location and sub-portfolio levels by monitoring occupant satisfaction through formal and informal channels and taking appropriate action to enhance satisfaction without hurting other performance dimensions.
- Monitor and control all procurement activities (including contractor
- procurement activities) to maintain compliance with Centrica’s Code of Conduct, Procurement Policy, and other applicable organizational policies and regulations; ensure the accuracy and transparency of assigned Cost Centres including the accurate and timely allocation of costs in accordance with applicable finance policies, the proper application of GL codes for all spend, and the timely and diplomatic escalation of “maverick spending” and unauthorized and/or unexplained charges to REFM NA Cost Centres.
- Develop robust, accurate, and timely annual operating budgets at the location level leveraging REFM NA colleagues, other group functions, and 3rd parties to efficiently and effectively gather budgeting inputs and identify and incorporate cost efficiency and service enhancement opportunities into budgets
- Deliver accurate and timely data inputs – primarily through direct and indirect reports - for departmental and functional performance management programs utilizing organizational tools and policies; develop and maintain a balanced score card for the department; set location-specific performance targets and effectively cascade targets into performance language in key vendor contracts.
- Assist Manager, FM Projects and Services on large-scale and/or high-risk projects from project charter approval to project plan approval (including final real estate transaction parameters if applicable) through project closeout and operational start-up. Overall responsibility for delivering the intended project outputs, satisfying project stakeholders, and effectively managing risk.
- Deliver departmental support of Strategic Planning activities including gathering and validating accurate and timely location specific data inputs without incurring unnecessary costs.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability