Direct Energy is a leading energy and energy-related services provider with nearly five million residential and commercial customers in North America. Direct Energy provides customers with choice and support in managing their energy costs through a portfolio of innovative products and services. A subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies, Direct Energy operates in 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 provinces in Canada. To learn more about Direct Energy, please visit www.directenergy.com.
- 7+ years of corporate finance / investment banking / accounting or comparable business experience is an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business / Finance / Economics / Accounting or like discipline is required; an MBA, CFA or accounting qualification is desired
- In-depth analytic and financial skill set
- Excellent financial modeling/analysis skills
- Understanding of accounting and tax principals
- Project management experience in a transaction setting is a plus
- A proactive and resourceful self-starter with ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Time management skills, prioritization capabilities and outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to listen and distill critical information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including advanced MS Office skills
- Strong team and interpersonal skills
- Experience in managing work to a deadline while maintaining highest quality standards
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- High energy, “can do” attitude
- Ability to travel to support any transaction and/or conduct business development
The Manager, Mergers and Acquisitions, will be responsible for completing specific tasks as part of the consideration and execution of potential transactions (acquisitions, divestitures or partnerships). He/she is expected to rely upon his/her analytical, research, transactional and valuation skills. As a member of the North American M&A team, and also part of Centrica’s Group M&A team in the UK, this role will require the development of relationships not only within the corporate or functional groups but also among the Global Business Units, Centrica Consumer and Centrica Business.
The Manager will also play a key role in the transaction process across all parties (internal stakeholders, and financial, legal, tax/accounting and transaction external advisors) and obtaining internal approvals. This candidate will be exposed to a wide range of strategic and business development issues and will gain experience in a challenging and fast-paced corporate environment.
The role requires proven analytical and financial acumen; flexibility; excellent project management skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks concurrently and an ability to produce high-quality output under tight deadlines. In addition, strong commercial / business acumen, the aptitude to effectively lead teams made up diverse resources across the organization, the ability to work independently and strong written and oral communication abilities are essential skills for this role.
- Identify appropriate commercial initiatives, transactions or partnerships to benefit the company’s strategic objectives
- Evaluate the strategic fit, rationale and risks associated with M&A opportunities
- Manage the transaction process from inception to consummation and reporting
- Perform specific quantitative and qualitative analyses (economic and financial) in support of the evaluation and execution of M&A opportunities
- Work with internal stakeholders (lines of business, corporate groups), external advisors and counterparty (seller or buyer) representatives to gather required data to support such analyses
- Guide the preparation of project appraisal papers to support internal approvals
- Perform ad-hoc analysis, research, and communications support for North America’s or UK’s senior leadership and the broader M&A group
- Self-directed research and analysis into a wide variety of topics
- Preparation of high-impact communication materials, including papers and presentations
- Interaction and collaboration with C-level executives
North America M&A work involves analyses at all levels of the organization, as well as developing insight into key external developments that might impact our different global business units. The overall team is tasked with delivery of the following primary areas:
- Origination: deliver potential opportunities through the connection to the market and manage a network of existing or new relationships including with banks and other advisors. Target and identify specific opportunities in selected markets and/or within specific industries.
- M&A process: support business units’ objectives and plans through the proper valuation and processing of acquisitions or divestitures
- Strategic Alignment: ensure all M&A efforts and potential transactions are aligned with Centrica’s overall strategy and consistent with the management agenda
- Due diligence: coordinate and verify due diligence is properly executed, procure target-related information, and check that valuations and risk assessments are thorough and accurate
- Manage reporting: create status reports, including identification of risks, issues and value drivers and communicate to the appropriate deal stakeholders
- Complete transaction: Follow the deal to completion with proper stewardship of documentation, negotiations and financial diligence to enable the transaction’s completion within an agreed-upon timeline
The North America M&A team is a part of the broader Group M&A team (global team). The individual in this role will gain exposure to activities across this wider team and will have the opportunity to participate in cross-team projects to support career development
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability