Legal Counsel, DE&P
We have an exciting opportunity for a Legal Counsel to join Centrica’s newest business area, Distributed Energy & Power (DE&P).
Distributed Energy is a significant area of growth for Centrica where we are expecting to invest £700million by 2020. DE&P provides B2B customers worldwide with innovative Energy solutions such as Central Power Generation, Solar PV and Energy Performance.
In this role you will be providing legal support for commercial matters including joint ventures, agreements with customers, services arrangements, procurement contracts, financing agreements including loan agreements and associated documentation.
If you are a lawyer with a direct action oriented approach with experience in working on complex transactions in the construction industry or large development projects then we would love to hear from you.
- To support the exciting plans we have to grow our DE&P business, we are looking for an exceptional construction/engineering qualified lawyer to join our DE&P Legal team reporting directly to the global Managing Counsel for DE&P who is also based in Windsor
- As part of the team, you will be at the heart of helping successfully deliver a fantastic pipeline of projects, including the hugely exciting list of power development projects Centrica recently secured in UK Capacity Market auction, notably the development of what will be one of the world’s largest ever commercial battery storage projects
- DE&P combines the start-up mentality and culture of an exciting dynamic new business with the many strengths and advantages of being part of a leading and highly respected FTSE 100 business, including excellent future progression prospects both within DE&P and the wider Centrica global Legal, Regulatory, Secretariat and Compliance function (including the teams that support Energy Marketing & Trading, Exploration & Production, British Gas, Hive and Connected Home). As such, this is a rare and hugely rewarding opportunity.
If you are an ambitious and dynamic construction or engineering lawyer, ideally with good power sector experience, who is either already working in-house and looking for an exciting new opportunity or working in a respected private practice firm and considering making the move in-house then we would love to hear from you. We are looking for
- Qualified solicitor with a UK or equivalent practicing certificate
- Commercially savvy lawyer - Proven ability to negotiate and draft non-standard contracts that address complex and difficult issues and to advise on complex legal matters, on both the legal and broader business ramifications
- Experience of distributed energy and/or power generation projects in the UK and abroad an advantage (whether in-house or in private practice)
- Experience of supporting or demonstrable ability to support a range of commercial B2B contracting expected to include construction/engineering contracting, supply chain procurement contracting, intellectual property and other general commercial contracting
- Proven ability to negotiate and draft non-standard contracts that address complex and difficult issues and to advise on complex legal matters, on both the legal and broader business ramifications
- Comfortable in working across a matrix organisation and leading or participating in multi skilled teams across different BUs in order to deliver the best outcome for Centrica
- Pro active and energetic style which inspires confidence in colleagues and seeks to continually improve, seek out new ways to deliver value and to support the business objectives
- Good communicator who translates legal matters into concise and credible messages
- Clear understanding and absolute adherence to ethical principles, company values, code of conduct and policies
- True collaborator who maintains a balanced view of the business and can effectively push back on all levels of management, providing candid and honest assessments
- Experience of people development and team leadership
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Legal Counsel, DE&P R9926763’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.