Maintenance & Engineering Manager
- Lead the delivery of safe, reliable and efficient operational performance of the station assets to provide maximum flexibility and optimise commercial opportunities; whilst also contributing to the development of communication between business units, sharing knowledge and wisdom across functions and creating horizontal value for the wider business.
- To develop and implement effective maintenance strategies that delivers the required availability and performance of the Power Plant and to manage the maintenance activities to ensure legislative compliance, asset integrity and production reliability.
- Provide our people with leadership, challenge and focus to deliver the implementation of capital projects to industry-leading standards.
- Has responsibility for managing site maintenance budgets and supporting delivery of the operational budget
- Support the Portfolio Engineering team with the management of plant overhauls which will be carried out by a team of up to 200 people (contractors and own team). Close liaison with the Engineering team to make efficient use of the Engineers during peaks of workload.
- Manage the day to day and forward planning of routine and non-routine maintenance of the site with regard to Health, Safety and Environmental Performance, Production Performance and Asset Security in order to deliver agreed power generation production plans in line with customer requirements, safely and cost effectively.
- To establish and develop maintenance strategies, policies and procedures to preserve the value of the asset in the (short, medium and long term) in order to support the delivery of the required levels of reliability, availability and flexibility of the business. All whilst complying with statutory, regulatory legislation and Company policies, guidelines and standards, and industry best practice.
- Manage the Health, Safety and Environmental culture, management systems and practices to deliver acceptable levels of performance and continuous improvement on the site, in line with company requirements and current legislation whilst ensuring that all personnel on the site adhere to the site procedures and requirements.
- Contributes to the development, implementation and delivery of the site business plan, site maintenance budget, risk management plan, Business Management System (BMS), and other relevant senior management activities to ensure delivery of strategic and business goals.
- Manage the effective procurement of parts and services through developing technical specification, assessing tender returns and securing budget approved for expenditure to support the delivery of the maintenance strategy.
- Work with the Portfolio Engineering Team to effectively plan and manage the delivery of outages to
- time, quality and budget to ensure integrity and to meet business and outage plans.
- Or if required conduct outage planning and scoping with the support of Procurement to place contracts and orders to supply.
- Review all significant plant operational losses and prioritise and allocate actions and resources accordingly to develop and implement appropriate maintenance procedures and solutions to prevent future re-occurrence.
- Identify and manage the delivery of Maintenance Team training and development to ensure that the team has the required competence, knowledge and skill to deliver the business objectives. Oversee and review the team delivery, through effective use of the performance management system and utilisation of station resources against the business plan and work programme and alter and allocate resource accordingly. Interfacing with other CEOL teams to ensure that the overall station requirements are met. This will include developing with the Operations Manager a suitable set of tasks that can be allocated to the Operations Team acting in an Operator Maintainer role during non-operational (station off) periods.
- Equipment reliability to ensure production target is met.
- Legislative compliance and satisfactory HSE inspection visits.
- Maintenance costs controlled to budget but not to the expense of the Operational Budget.
- Maintenance systems and data are delivered in a timely manner.
- Reduces to as low as reasonably practicable HS&E Accidents and Incidents.
- Supports scheduling to meet all production targets safely ensuring reliability, availability and flexibility.
- Ensures all business risks are identified and effectively managed in accordance with Company Policy.
- Ensures high standards of Employee Engagement, via good management application.
- Make contingency plans for fire and other foreseeable emergencies, or potential breaches of consent of IPC/IPPC authorisations, and ensure these are tested and reviewed.
- Implement mandatory safety, environmental and operation training requirements for the team and contractors.
- Implement and review the site safety requirements with the Operations Manager with focus on procedures specifically concerned with work execution under the Safety Rules ensuring they are communicated, understood and applied by the station team and contractors in order to safeguard the whole team and minimise financial loss.
- Establish, review, maintain and update appropriate safety, environmental (working with discipline specialists) and maintenance frameworks, policies, strategies and procedures ensuring they are robust and fit for purpose, to enable the station to deliver maximum commercial benefit and meet statutory and company standards. Ensure these are effectively communicated and clearly understood and applied amongst the team.
- Establish processes and procedures to ensure that HS&E is given prime consideration throughout maintenance activities.
- Ensure that deviation from approved procedures or standards is never allowed except where a documented and communicated review, rewrite and approval is obtained by designated authority.
- Establishes processes to ensure that personnel mobilised to the asset are competent for the duties to be fulfilled and the tasks to be undertaken
- Ensures that any deviation to design or standard changes have been subject to the Management Of Change process and authorised by the competent engineering authority
- Promotes a strong, positive HS&E culture and participates in regular HS&E tours
- Allocate the necessary resource, such as time and money, to HS&E issues.
- Encourage and participate in initiatives/improvement measures.
- As required, participate in investigations of HS&E incidents.
- Conduct regular safety and environmental awareness meetings with maintenance team.
- Promotes continuous improvement in health and safety performance.
- Promotes continuous improvement in environmental performance for demonstration of commitment to the ISO14001 externally certified EMS.
- Ensure that the Company Health and safety Management System is adhered to by all staff, contractors and visitors.
- Ensure that work activities do not compromise the Site’s Environmental Authorisations, including Integrated Pollution Control (IPC) Authorisation.
- A suitable qualification in Environment Management (IEMA Certificate)
- Good understanding of formal work control Safety rules and procedures ideally Senior Authorised Person and Control person
- Strategy and policy development experience
- Ability to use Project Management tools
- Chartered status
- Engineering Degree with engineering experience in a Power station environment or a similar industry including experience of CCGT technology and operation and conventional fossil fuelled plant experience. OR HNC/D or equivalent in an Engineering discipline with experience in an engineering role in a Power station environment or a similar industry including experience of CCGT technology and operation and conventional fossil fuelled plant experience.
- Experience of leading and managing a large and diverse team of staff within a 24/7 environment.
- Experience of developing and managing budgets and business cases to support investment decisions.
- Sound knowledge and experience of operating within safety and environmental policies and frameworks
- Understanding and awareness of the current electricity markets and trading requirements and a strong understanding of commercial issues.
- Incident management and experience of managing abnormal conditions (safety, environmental and operational).
- In-depth knowledge and proven track record in the management of Health, Safety & the Environment underpinned by a National Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH).
- Proven track record in managing projects.
- Ability to influence groups and individuals within the organisation, in order to gain their commitment to deliver business objectives and the ability to positively influence and create behaviour and attitude changes.
- Strong organisational, communication and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively with both internal and external personnel (Government Agencies e.g. HS&E, EA, Ofgem, external organisations, the media and the public) to ensure that all business objectives are met in a timely and cost effective manner.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing ‘Update required: Maintenance & Engineering Manager R9927266’ in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.