Market Risk Analyst
Centrica is a top 30 FTSE100 Company with a growing energy business in the UK and North America. This role sits within the Energy Marketing & Trading (EM&T) business: The team is both the trading arm of Centrica – charged with maximising profit from trading gas, power, LNG and related commodities – and the bridge delivering energy from our Upstream and Power Generation teams on one side and British Gas on the other.
The successful candidate will continuously be challenged around risk measurement & methodology, processes, procedures and deadlines whilst having close, daily interaction with the Front Office, other Risk professional, and multiple business units across the division. The analyst will play a key role in assisting Senor Management to manage risk and to continuously develop the function.
Working in a fast paced and rigorous environment, this role will allow the successful candidate to gain an in-depth understanding of Energy Markets in which the business operates and a thorough understanding of Energy Risk Management. The broad commercial exposure will also allow the successful candidate to gain a wider understanding of the business and to contribute to its on-going improvement and development.
Including but not limited to:
- Calculation and analysis of daily Market VaR and regular backtesting; working on investigation and analysis of risk. Being proactive and providing portfolio risk insights to senior management in close to real time as possible;
- Engaging in analytical review of changes in market risk applications, models and methodologies for quantifying market risks across the business;
- Quantitative analysis of new deals and embedded risks from a market risk perspective using simulation based modelling and other methods. Contributing to strategic paper and new business reviews and providing analytical advice/support/view on market risks.
- Working with relevant business unit teams to formulate new risk frameworks, limit structures, and integrate changes into the current policies, processes and systems;
- Reviewing Reports produced by the Product Control team, daily monitoring of trading portfolios, and keeping abreast of developments in the energy markets.
- Provide support to the Market Risk Managers
- Demonstrable market risk experience gained within an energy/oil company, utility, trading house, ideally with exposure to UK and EU Power and Gas (including LNG);
- Strong understanding of risk management of complex energy assets (specifically in Gas and Power) and risk methodologies such as VaR, PaR, and Option valuation theory;
- Strong mathematical and modelling skills are required, ideally a graduate from a numerate degree;
- Maintaining simultaneously (i) a strong independent mind in executing responsibilities and (ii) effective working relationships with rest of the organisation;
- Well-developed IT skills including advanced Excel (VBA) or programming language such as Python.
- Confidence, presence, resilience and determination to succeed in a dynamic and demanding business environment;
- Excellent attention to detail, with good problem solving and root cause identification skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact and communicate at all levels;
- Self-motivated, ability to prioritise work with minimal direction;
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email email@example.com typing Market Risk Analyst R9922538 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.