Manager Data Management & Utility Operations
Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodities and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000+ employees serve over 6 million residential and commercial customer relationships.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE:CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 20 million customers and 34,000 employees worldwide. We are committed to being the most recommended energy and services provider and leading the transition to a low carbon society.
The Manager, Data Management & Utility Operations will provide vision, leadership and accountability for the day-to-day activities for the Data Management and Utility Operations team. He / she will be accountable for the timely, complete, and accurate processing of 1,000,000 transaction / month which drive the customer enrollment, billing, payment processing, and usage forecasting for 250,000 utility accounts and $6B in annual revenue. The candidate is responsible for building and managing all operational aspects of Direct Energy’s relationships with utility trading partners and to represent Direct Energy on any tariff or operational changes planned by the utilities. He / she will need to leverage these relationships as required to facilitate resolution of operational issues that arise with utilities in existing and new markets. These issues may be due to Utility tariff or system changes, problems, or changes of internal Direct Energy operating procedures which require coordination with utilities.
The successful candidate will participate in strategic growth planning sessions with the Commercial Leadership team and manage the resources required to implement new business initiatives such as new product and service offerings, new market entries, non-standard contracts, external market changes, and operational platform updates. He / she is accountable for the identification, creation and ongoing monitoring of fit for purpose quality controls designed to ensure the integrity of all data exchanges between internal and external partners. The controls framework will be updated based on consultation with other members of leadership, subject matter experts, personal knowledge base and industry best practices. To achieve these deliverables, the Manager will need to acquire resource commitments and coordinate the efforts of team members, business partners, and third-party contractors or consultants. The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, be adept at translating data into information, and business challenges into operational solutions. The collection of these skills will enable the candidate to effectively work with project managers and the Information Technology team to provide requirements and aid in the implementation of system and process improvements. The Manager should have a variety of competencies including knowledge of utility RTO tariffs, an understanding of EDI mapping procedures and improvement methodologies, strong problem solving skills, experience managing a variety of third party providers, and the ability to demonstrate effective team leadership skills.
- Bachelor's Degree with an emphasis in Information Technology or Business Administration is preferred
- Masters/MBA a plus with similar concentration and/or professional certifications
- Five years previous experience in EDI Operations and / or System Implementations
- Excellent command of the U.S. deregulated energy market with a detailed understanding of the growing range of existing, new and emerging utility products and services is preferred.
- Prior experience managing people a plus
- Ability to coach and support a team to self-motivate in a fast-paced, detail oriented environment
- Demonstrates expertise in utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of flat files and EDI standards is a plus.
- Knowledge of managing FTP sites a plus
- Strong understanding of IT development and infrastructure life cycles processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-directed; solid analytical and problem solving skills; ability to communicate findings, make recommendations, and facilitate change; comfortable working with individuals at all organizational levels; effective at managing multiple activities and meeting deadlines
- Flexibility and adaptability; high capacity to support and work within a team environment
- Proven effective business-to-business relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Occasional travel will be required.
- Establish team objectives that align to the Direct Energy and Customer Operations Management Agenda; cascade objectives to the team and effectively manage performance on an ongoing basis.
- Create resource plan and conduct workload balancing activities as required
- Manage and provide leadership for team of Data Management and Utility Operations Analysts in day-to-day activities that ensure the integrity and timeliness of all inbound and outbound data exchanges with external partners that facilitate customer enrollment, usage forecasting, billing and payment application.
- Ensure transaction exceptions (i.e. missing, incomplete, invalid) are identified and resolved timely; drive escalation efforts as required with utilities and impacted internal / external partners
- Collaborate with internal data consumers to determine and optimize agreed upon Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) for file processing and exception management activities
- Define, implement, and report Key Performance Indicator (KPI) metrics; utilize data to determine root cause of issues; spearhead effort to implement data, systems, and/or process optimizations
- Champion efforts to define and optimize quality control monitoring activity for the Data Management infrastructure; ensure activities are being performed as designed. Create action plans to remediate identified gaps or issues as required.
- Responsible for building and maintaining relationships within the utilities and represent DE Business on any tariff or operational changes planned by the utilities; understand and communicate the effect these changes will have on our internal processes, and partner with internal resources to champion operational changes;
- Network with utility contacts and attend utility/supplier work meetings (some travel required).
- Understand Key Data Elements (KDEs) needed from utility trading partners to effectively enroll, price and bill customers. Interface proactively with internal business partners to ensure accuracy and quality of data from each utility trading partner and identify opportunities for improvement. Initiate and support efforts with trading partners to perform root-cause analysis of data quality issues and champion overall quality improvement initiatives with trading partners and internal functional teams to improve overall quality of KDEs received from utility trading partners
- Be viewed as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the transactional and service landscape in North America; Maintain a current database and working knowledge of each utility’s data exchange rules, financial transaction rules, usage formats, and capacity and transmission update schedules
- Spearhead new market entry, market upgrade, and new production implementation efforts by understanding and communicating the operational requirements for Energy Service Providers.
- Design solutions and manage the testing of EDI mapping logic, business rules and ancillary applications for changes in the Market, new offerings and / or system upgrades.
- Participate in cross functional efforts to support Sales in driving profitable growth of the Business through recommending and supporting customized transaction processing protocol for strategic commercial & industrial customers.
- Mentor Data Management and Utility Operations Analysts to facilitate growth in market, data, and systems as well as means to best implement automated solutions
- Manage operational costs within Data Management to ensure a low CTS while maintaining the highest level of service for internal departments and customers.;
- Manage multiple relationships with external service providers; this includes the negotiation of contracts and Statement of work (SOW) as well as performing the ongoing evaluation of vendor performance.
The IndividualDirect Energy and its subsidiaries are an Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Additional Website Text