The Devices team is an enthusiastic team of programme managers, technologists and engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialing and deployment of Hive connected home devices. We are looking for an Electronics Technician Engineer to join the small team which is responsible for the design and manufacture of our own devices. This team covers electronics and mechanical hardware design, supply chain management, manufacturing technology, logistics, product approvals, device firmware and Quality.
This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted within Connected Home provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
What will you be up to;
The role sits inside the Devices team, and reports to The Quality Systems Manager.
Key activities for this role include:
- Identifying and documenting all statutory and optional approvals schemes for new and existing products
- Work with Product Managers and Design Engineers to ensure that new products are specified and designed with approvals in mind
- Create and maintain records of product certification, ensuring that renewals are timely
- Create and maintain product technical files to support product certifications
- Attend certification testing at accredited test sites to witness and supervise testing on an as-required basis (may require occasional international travel)
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- A degree or similar in an Electronics-related discipline, backed up by suitable industry experience
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of consumer electronics related approvals requirements globally, in particular for UK, EU and North America
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of safety testing for low-voltage consumer electronics products
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of radio and EMC testing for RF consumer electronics products
- Experience of attending and supporting safety, Radio and EMC testing at accredited test sites
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email, technical tools such as terminals)
- Experience of operating radio and EMC testing equipment such as spectrum analysers, signal generators
- Comfortable working with microprocessor-based products at the development stage, for the purposes of driving them in various test modes
- Basic familiarity with LPRF radio systems such as ZigBee, Z-Wave, BLE, WiFi
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills
We’re the team behind Hive Active Heating. Set up by British Gas in 2012, we were given a simple mission: to make the connected home a reality for everyone. We’re here to give you more control over their lives and homes and we’re passionate about providing technology products and services that let our customers control and connect with their homes wherever they are. We launched our brand Hive, by British Gas in September 2013 along with our first product Hive Active Heating which lets you control your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. We’ve also launched MyEnergy, a product that provides customers with helpful insight into their energy consumption.
Now, less than 4 years later, we’re really proud of how far we’ve come. With over 500,000 customers Hive is UK’s No.1 connected thermostat, and with our range of products and innovations we continue to go from strength to strength.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
To request an update on this role, or if you have any problems uploading your CV please email firstname.lastname@example.org typing Approvals Engineer R9914257 in the subject title.
Agencies: Centrica operate a preferred supplier arrangement, however if you wish to be considered at the next review session please submit a brief overview of your capability to PSL@centrica.com.